Science and Christianity topic of speech tonight

Staci Hupp

Drawing the line between science and Christianity will be the topic of tonight’s inaugural lecture of Iowa State’s Monsignor James Supple Chair of Catholic Studies.

Jaime Vidal, professor of religious studies and first holder of the supple chair, will give a speech titled “Pierre Teilhard de Chardin: Faith and Evolution” at 8 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

Vidal is an advocate of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, who was a 19th century Jesuit priest and paleontologist.

De Chardin used science, theology and spirituality to integrate beliefs in evolution and Christianity, according to a press release.

Vidal said de Chardin was split between the “evidence” of evolution and his faith.

“At the time, he was a practicing priest and devout man,” he said. “He thought [evolution] was unquestionable; at the same time, he was a man of faith.”

Vidal, who joined the ISU faculty last fall, said informing the ISU community about the incorporation of science and Christianity was important.

“Considering this is such a science-based university, I thought students should [be aware],” Vidal said. “It’s about the whole issue of how you reconcile the theory of evolution.”

Vidal added that his speech will help separate being a “believer in evolution on Sunday mornings and a believer in God in the labs.”

Mary Sawyer, who is the professor in charge of the Religious Studies Program, said students will find answers to questions concerning science and Christianity by attending the lecture.

“Some students might have some questions, and perhaps this is a place for them to get insight,” Sawyer said.

The supple chair was established in 1997 through private gifts to Campaign Destiny: To Become the Best, a press release stated.

The $300 million campaign is part of ISU’s plan to become the best land-grant institution in the nation.

Before coming to ISU, Vidal was associate professor at the Pontifical College Josephinum and assistant director of the Cushwa Center for the Study of American Catholicism at the University of Notre Dame.

He also has been assistant professor of religious studies at Seton Hall University and professor in the Hispanic Diaconal Training Program at the Archdiocese of New York.