Journalism department gets accreditation recommendation

Tara Deering

Iowa State’s journalism and mass communications program was recommended this month by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications for re-accreditation, after being found “in compliance” on all 12 of the council’s accreditation standards.

Before a recommendation on re-accreditation was made, the five-member accrediting team examined a detailed self-study prepared in advance by department faculty. They also performed an on-site inspection last week.

During the nearly week-long stay, the team of accreditors also met with students in the journalism program.

John Eighmey, chairman of ISU’s Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, said the team report made some constructive comments, but the overall results show that “we are well-poised for continued success.”

He said there are about 450 programs across the United States that say they have journalism expertise, but only 108 of those programs are accredited.

When looking to accredit journalism programs, they must meet the 12 standards of accreditation, which include: governance/administration, budget, curriculum, student records/advising, instruction/evaluation, faculty, internships and work experience, equipment/facilities, faculty scholarship/research/professional activities, public service, graduates/alumni and minority and female representation.

“We got the endorsement that we are in compliance, and I think we’re well in compliance with the standards,” Eighmey said.

Courses offered in the department were also looked at extensively by the team. Eighmey said courses offered at ISU are important because they present students with effective skills and give them the ability to think critically.

Although students are only allowed to take no more than 40 credit hours of journalism courses, Eighmey said this requirement prohibits students from becoming all skilled- focused.

He said there is the highest level of sophistication in journalism courses available at ISU.

“You enter into work in our courses,” Eighmey said. “We are a program that produces leaders.”

If accredited, it will be the 50th-consecutive year ISU’s Department of Journalism and Mass Communication has received accreditation. The department was first accredited in April 1948.

“In meeting all 12 standards, it assures students that they are coming to an accredited program,” he said.