Task force discusses multicultural center

Tara Deering

Helping to determine if Iowa State needs a multicultural center is one issue the Multicultural Task Force plans to focus its attention on this semester.

The possibility of a multicultural center was discussed last semester by many student organizations, with Morrill Hall being mentioned as a site to house it.

In December the Government of the Student Body held a “Think Tank” to discuss if a multicultural center was needed or possible.

Susanna Rundquist, Minority Student Affairs representative for the task force, said she was disappointed in the turnout at the GSB Think Tank.

She said all organizations need to get involved so opinions can be expressed.

“It’s all going to boil down to what the student inputs are,” Rundquist said.

“It’s really hard to tell at this point how they are feeling.”

Finding out information about a multicultural center is the main goal for this semester, Rundquist said. At the end of the task force’s research, a report will be submitted to ISU President Martin Jischke and Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill.

Rundquist said there’s already a lot of information on other universities and colleges who have multicultural centers.

She said she plans to talk to other university student leaders at these schools for input.

A multicultural center subcommittee of the Multicultural Task Force, met the first week of this semester “to get the ball rolling,” Rundquist said.

In addition to helping with the research of a multicultural center, the Multicultural Task Force helps fund student-initiated programs that address multicultural issues on campus.

The Multicultural Task Force’s statement of purpose states, “The Task Force will be meeting monthly to allocate funding, provided by the Office of the Provost and the Vice President for Student Affairs, for student-initiated projects which increase understanding and break down barriers between people of different races, ethnicities, cultures, sexual orientation and disabilities.

Adin Mann, co-chairman of the task force, said “not only is it a group of people, but it’s a group of people that can put money behind what they want happened.”

Mann said the task force was formed last year, with a mission of getting a lot of groups on campus to work together and to create programs.

“The Multicultural Task Force’s mission is to facilitate interaction among student organizations, faculty, and staff on diversity issues pertinent to the Iowa State University community,” is one of the task force’s goals according to a press release.

He said the Multicultural Task Force receive $20,000 this year from the Office of Provost and the Vice President for Student Affairs.

Some of the programs sponsored last semester by the task force include Jane Elliott’s lecture, a panel discussion on Breaking Down Barriers and two sessions on Enhancing Interracial Communication.

“The things that haven’t been funded is because they don’t fit within the guidelines,” Mann said.

This semester the task force helped sponsor and collaborate the Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebrations, and it is currently working in conjunction with the Ames/ISU Task Force on consumer needs of minority students.

Mann said there’s quite an extensive list of members on the task force such as GSB, Interfraternity Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council, Faculty Senate, Black Student Alliance, Asian Pacific American Awareness Coalition and Freshman Council.

Anyone is welcome to get involved in the Multicultural Task Force, Mann said.

The task force meets every other Tuesday from 5 to 6:30 p.m. in the Pine Room of the Memorial Union.