Hearing for ISU professor continues today

Tara Deering

After three weeks, testimony in the sexual-harassment hearing of Iowa State Professor Michael Simonson resumes today.

The administrative hearing, which started in mid-December, was postponed by Administrative Law Judge Donald Bohlken after four days. Bohlken delayed the hearing after determining there would not be sufficient time on Dec. 13 for the numerous witnesses left to testify.

Simonson, a professor of curriculum and instruction, is accused of violating university policy, creating a hostile environment, offensive conduct and sexual harassment.

Simonson has been fighting the university for almost a year to get a hearing, said Stephen Terrill, Simonson’s attorney.

The battle started last spring when Simonson sued the university after he was placed on administrative leave with pay on Feb. 13. He returned to his teaching duties at ISU when Story County District Judge Timothy Finn ruled in his favor on May 9.

Although the hearing has begun, the university is appealing the May 9 ruling by Finn.

Simonson faces allegations from two women associated with ISU.

Mindy Gallagher, graduate student in curriculum and instruction; and Beth Kumar, former ISU graduate student and research assistant for Simonson, testified in December of alleged inappropriate conduct and comments from Simonson.

Although several of the defenses’ witnesses were called before the three-week break, the testimony of Simonson is expected late this week.

In an interview with the Ames Tribune, Terrill said Simonson is ready to tell his side of the story.