Iowa State student killed in accident

Sara Ziegler

An Iowa State student was killed in an early-morning car crash Thursday.

Matthew Lichty, a junior in agricultural business from Waterloo, Iowa, and member of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity, lost control of his car at approximaately 7:40 a.m.

Lichty was driving to Waterloo, Nebr., for an interview with Golden Harvest about a summer internship, said Mike Sonderman, a senior in agricultural business and member of Alpha Gamma Rho.

According to the Iowa State Patrol, Lichty’s car spun out of control as he was attempting to pass a semi-truck in the westbound lane of Interstate-80 near DeSoto.

The truck struck the driver’s side of Lichty’s car and sent it into the median.

The truck then tipped over, blocking the right-hand westbound lane. The accident was apparently caused by icy road conditions.

Lichty was pronounced dead at the scene.

Lichty is survived by his wife, Tiffany Albers, a student at Drake University, whom he married Friday night in Waterloo, Iowa. The couple has a 6-month-old son, Caleb.

The news of Lichty’s death hit his friends at Alpha Gamma Rho hard.

“He was one of my best friends,” said Kaleb Varrelmann, a junior in dairy science.

“He had a real competitive fire. He always hated to lose,” he said.

Sonderman said Lichty was initiated into the fraternity in the fall of 1996, but started living off campus this semester.

Justin Chesnut, a sophomore in agricultural studies, was a groomsman in Lichty’s wedding and a member of his pledge class.

“Matt … enjoyed being around everybody,” Chesnut said. “He always found time for everybody.”

Matt Schaefer, a sophomore in agricultural business, said the fraternity house, where Lichty’s younger brother, Chris, also lives, is pulling together to deal with the loss.

“I guess right now it’s made everyone really bond together,” he said. “We all have a shoulder to cry on.”

Schaefer said members of other fraternities have also offered support to Lichty’s friends and family.

Lichty’s funeral will be held Tuesday at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Waterloo, Iowa.