Student injured while skydiving is improving

Tara Deering

Darrell Redman was upgraded to fair condition at Iowa Methodist Medical Center in Des Moines Tuesday after sustaining injuries in a skydiving accident Saturday afternoon.

Redman, who is a member of the ISU Skydivers Club and a graduate student in history, was skydiving with three other sky divers Saturday at the Boone Airport.

Events leading up to the accident are still sketchy.

Jared Granzow, a senior in agricultural engineering, was the pilot of the plane Redman jumped from that day.

“To tell you the truth, I don’t know what happened because I was still in the air,” Granzow said.

“I heard that he turned too low to the ground and ended up landing on the markers on the runway.”

Josh Moore, employee at the Boone Airport, said he watched as Redman jumped from the plane.

“I don’t know if it was his error of turning too low, or if it was a gust of wind,” Moore said.

Redman has been a member of the ISU Skydivers Club for two years, said Robert Meyer, president of the ISU Skydivers Club.

Meyer said he has been in contact with Redman and was assured he would fine.

“He’s able to communicate, and he’s going to be fine,” he said.

Hashem Hashemi-Toroghi, a frequent Ames sky diver, said he knows Redman and all the local sky divers. He said Redman had performed about 95 jumps and had served four years in the U.S. Army.

“He is an experienced jumper,” Hashemi-Toroghi said.

Houston Dougharty, associate dean of students, said he contacted the history department after he found out about Redman’s accident.

“Our heartfelt concerns go out to him and his family,” Dougharty said.

Meyer said he has been in contact with Redman’s professors and friends since he will not be returning to school for a while.