Winter weather blows through central Iowa

Tara Deering and Shemeka Sumrall

By the looks of the weather outside Sunday, many Iowa State students may have been in the Christmas spirit instead of getting ready for Halloween.

Ames received about 6 inches of the wet, white stuff early Sunday morning.

A storm that developed in the Rocky Mountains was the cause of Ames’ pre-winter snowfall. Most of central Iowa received heavy snowfalls.

Brad Filldack, meteorologist technician of the National Weather Service, said the storm system moved out of the Rockies and across Kansas and Missouri before hitting Iowa.

He said central Iowa received a total of about 408 inches of snow. “The further north, the less snow received,” Filldack said.

With the heavy snow came knocked-down power lines and tree branches.

Much of Des Moines was without electricity Sunday morning, and many areas of Ames also experienced power outages.

Many residents of Story County were faced with no electricity Sunday due to fallen tree branches.

IES Utilities customer service hotline had a recording which informed callers that “we are currently experiencing numerous outages throughout the state of Iowa.”

By mid-afternoon Sunday, most of the main streets were cleared and the snow was turning into slush.

There were no major car accidents reported to the Ames Police department Sunday.

Cy-Ride buses also managed to stay on track despite the snow.

“There were times this morning [Sunday] when we were behind schedule, but we didn’t have any major problems,” said Chad West, Cy-Ride dispatcher.

People traveling on ISU’s campus did not experience any major problems.

Mike Dale, Department of Public Safety dispatcher, said only one major accident was reported Sunday morning. “It’s been pretty quiet,” he said.

Lisa Reis, whose husband is the owner of All Seasons Tree Service, said her husband was out all day Sunday removing snow and cutting down branches.

Reis said the office had only received one call by Sunday afternoon.

“Usually when it happens on the weekend a lot of people don’t call in until the next day,” she said.

Though many Iowans were troubled by the early snowstorm, some ISU students said they were glad to see it.

“I love the first snow because it reminds me of Christmas,” said Laura Mittelstadt, a freshman in elementary education.

Cheryl McPherson, a sophomore in horticulture, said she wished Ames had received more snow. “I’m looking forward to winter because I am ready to ski,” she said.

While some saw Ames’ first snow storm as a pleasant surprise, others saw it as an omen of what’s to come this winter.

“I can’t believe it snowed,” said Kelly Gunlay, a freshman in agronomy. “I want for it to be put off, but I don’t think that will happen, though.”

There may be relief in the upcoming forecast for those dreading winter’s arrival.

“The forecast for tomorrow is warmer, upper 40s with southwest winds up to 5 to 10 miles an hour. “The six to 10-day outlook looks to have temperatures below normal and dry,” Filldack said.