Cyclone soccer blows away Westerwinds

Amanda Fier and Laurie Meythaler

The Iowa State soccer team rolled to its third consecutive victory, crushing the Western Illinois Westerwinds on Friday afternoon at the Iowa State Soccer Complex.

The Cyclones scored a season high eight goals in the 8-0 shutout. The win improved the team’s record to 7-6 overall.

Sophomore Lindsey Rector was the team’s leading scorer on Friday with three goals, while freshman Jessica Wiley added two.

Senior Jo Hinks, last week’s Big 12 Player of the Week, and freshman Krista Odenwald led the team in assists, each recording three. Hinks did not record any goals in the game, after a high-scoring last weekend.

ISU dominated Friday’s game, tallying 24 shots on goal during the first half. The first goal came at 6:31 by freshman Ali Sullivan, followed by another at 11:10 by freshman Patti Reed.

In the last 90 seconds of the first half, the Cyclones scored twice, once on a header. ISU led 5-0 at halftime.

The Cyclones scored three more times during the second half before holding the ball without forward progress for the final seven minutes of the game.

The Cyclones left the Westerwinds not only scoreless, but also without a shot on goal. ISU took a season-high 37 shots in the game.

Coach Cathy Klein said because Western Illinois wasn’t much of a challenge, the team needed to “remain focused, committed and progress as a program, and we did that.”

Klein said she came away from the game pleased because ISU was able to grow as a team.

The match was also a landmark in another aspect. Klein said for the first time in history, “everyone got to play.”

Klein said the game was positive because it allowed the non-scorers to gain experience and helped the starters gain confidence by opening up clear passing channels.

“Our reserves played the bulk of the game and showed they were capable of starting any game in the year,” Klein said. “Every week we’re getting better in all positions, including the reserves.”

All four goalkeepers appeared in the game for the Cyclones, including senior Lauren Muser, sophomore Hayley Mercer, and freshmen Beth Leimer and Danielle O’Neill.

Hinks said the game was a good chance for the team to try new things and develop under different game conditions. “We got a chance to relax in the second half and work on skills,” she said.

Klein said that although Hinks did not score herself, her three assists typify the type of players she is.

“Jo’s not just about scoring goals — she’s about doing what it takes to win,” Klein said.

Wednesday, Iowa State will face Kansas Newman at the ISU Soccer Complex. Game time is set for 3:30 p.m.