Rally kicks off National Coming Out Week on Iowa State campus

Tara Deering

As the bells of the Campanile chimed in the noon hour, they also sounded off the beginning of Iowa State’s National Coming Out Week celebration.

More than 100 students, faculty and staff braved the possibility of rain to show their support for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Promptly displayed in front of the audience was the Ames PFLAG banner. PFLAG stands for parents and friends of lesbians and gays.

Judd Harbin, psychology intern student counselor, praised lesbians, gays and bisexuals in the audience for coming to the rally. “The fact that you’re here today and out in Iowa speaks frankly of your strength,” he said.

Among the supporters were Kathleen MacKay, dean of students, Rafael Rodriguez, director of Minority Student Affairs, Thomas Hill, vice president for student affairs, Houston Dougharty, associate dean of students, and Doug Houghton, of the Department of Public Safety.

Visibility and civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people were also discussed.

Harbin said because of lesbians’ and gays’ invisibility, they are the only minority for which there is a coming-out process.

“As God as my witness, being gay or lesbian is not a sin,” Harbin said.

In recent years the church has made great strides in accepting and supporting gay and lesbian rights, Harbin said. Recently, catholic and protestant parents were given the approval of the church to love their gay and lesbian children.

Not only is gay and lesbian discrimination nationwide, but it is also present at ISU.

Angie Chipman, president of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally Alliance, spoke about discrimination she facedwhen living in the residence halls. She said she had a roommate who would not room with her because of her sexual orientation.

“People came up to me and said, ‘yeah you’re a really nice person, but can’t you understand why she was uncomfortable?” Chipman said.

Chipman said the response she received from her mother about the situation was “that’s what you get for flaunting [your sexuality.]”

Chipman said instead of trying to flaunt her sexuality, she is trying to educate people. “Hell yes, I’m trying to promote homosexuality,” she said.

To promote awareness and support gay and lesbian rights at ISU, the Safe Zone sign was unveiled at the rally. The sticker will be distributed to faculty and staff members so they can display it on their office door or window.

Paulette Stronczek, staff psychologist, said Student Counseling Services also provides help for friends and family of gay and lesbian people.

Student leaders on campus spoke out in support of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

“It strikes me that we as African Americans do not recognize lesbian and gay rights,” said Meron Wondwosen, president of Black Student Alliance.

She said BSA recognizes that gays and lesbians have made a contribution to the African American community and deserve full civil rights.

“We can no longer allow for the oppression of gays and lesbians,” Wondwosen said. “No one is free while others are oppressed … so get the hell out of the closet and agitate, agitate, agitate for queer rights.”