Down your throat

Dan Conner

Much has been said lately about the fact that Christians often “shove their beliefs down the throats” of the rest of Iowa State. This may be true, but what exactly is shoving anything down a throat?

Some of my classmates associated this action with the Gideons who come to campus and hand out Bibles. For an exact quote, “Yeah, they practically shove those Bibles down your throat!”

I think that would be hardly true. I know several people that do the Gideon thing, and they are very nice people. Actually, all they are doing is standing on the sidewalk, with a Bible in their hand, asking you if you want it. I have said no many times, and each time, they really don’t do much; if anything, they smile.

I can think of many more threatening situations.

But past that, what is “shoving down the throat?” As I have seen the reaction in Daily letters, it is when Christians try to impose their standards, views and morals upon people that don’t necessarily hold those views — when they hold people to a standard to which the other people don’t hold.

In a particular recent case, this was about homosexuals and there have been other topics, including sex outside of marriage last semester.

Part of the beliefs and values of Christianity is that there is only one true religion. There is one way to heaven and eternal salvation. Along with this, there is a command to tell the rest of the world of the truths of Christianity. There are moral codes that God has laid down, and all people will be held accountable for those commandments, whether you are a Christian or not.

According to this, as Mr. Carter Moss pointed out, Christians would be lacking if they did not voice concern where their fellow students are not following these commandments.

In conflict with these views is the view that pluralism should be upheld. Anyone can believe whatever they want, as long as it doesn’t affect me or try to convert me. So, please look at it from my view. I hold my beliefs.

Whether or not they are true, you really can’t say anything about that because anything is true, right?

However, you are telling me I cannot believe that. I cannot believe that there is one set of moral commandments that all people will be held accountable for because it conflicts with your view that anyone can believe anything.

Now, according to the definition above, that would be shoving your beliefs down my throat, telling me what I can or cannot believe.

I am at a university that is a champion of freedom of religion, and more than that, pluralism. Some of my views are not accepted unless they fit into the pluralist views.

There are classes at ISU in which the professor solely goes through the Bible and tries to prove it wrong. In all of the science classes I have taken, evolution is taught as the only way we are here (that is a debate for another time).

Do not think that I am against this shoving down the throat. I am probably for it; it can be done in a respectful way. Debating and having my views challenged motivates me and strengthens my faith.

What I am asking is that you not accuse Christians of shoving their beliefs down your throat until you can say the same of yourself. This is a university. Many people are trying to find “meaning” in life. It is healthy for people to be zealous about their faith, as long as it doesn’t directly affect your studies and policies that should be equal for everybody.

A letter in the Daily condemning homosexuality is not that threatening. It would be nice if we could debate a topic without pointing fingers at each other. If you tell me that homosexuality is acceptable, you really should have a reason. And a good reason is not that that is what I believe, and you really don’t have to believe that.

Have some meat to your argument that is something other than whining that Christianity has to many moral standards for you to follow. Why is pluralism a universal truth? Why must I not try to influence non-Christians?

That is all I have. As the great Red Green would say, “Keep your stick on the ice!”

Dan Conner

Junior

Pre-business