Spring Study Abroad Fair: ‘There’s just a whole world out there and I just want to go see it.’

Joanna Schwager, sophomore in forestry, learns about the study abroad opportunities in Ireland. She said she is considering studying abroad because “I’ve always wanted to travel and I’ve heard so many good things about it. It’s part of the college experience.” 

Jordyn Dubois

Thursday’s Study Abroad Fair put students in connection with program directors of both Iowa State and other study abroad affiliated programs.

Iowa State has 10 direct partners for the study abroad programs and around eight other affiliates resulting in over 700 programs, said Brittany Maracotta, a student peer adviser for the Study Abroad Center.

Ethel Banks, a senior in civil engineering, had the opportunity to study abroad in South Korea.

“It’s different studying abroad for six months than a vacation for two weeks,” Banks said. “You become completely immersed in the culture.”

Students have the option to study abroad during summer, for a semester, for a full year or even on a faculty led trip, which typically occur over fall, winter or spring break.

“I have a Spanish minor and I want to be more fluent in Spanish,” said Jordan Welp, a sophomore in environmental science. “I want to go to a Spanish speaking country to get the immersion.”

Students interested in studying abroad can find more information by either visiting the Study Abroad Center on campus or their website. The Study Abroad Center website has links to all applications and information about the programs.

“I’ve always wanted to travel and I’ve heard so many good things about it,” said Joanna Schwager, sophomore in forestry. “It’s part of the college experience.”

Scholarships and financial aid are also available for students applying to a program. These services are also accessible through the Study Abroad Center’s website and in the office location at the Memorial Union.

“I think it would be a really great experience you can’t get in the states,” said Taylor Roquet, a freshman in aerospace engineering. “There’s just a whole world out there and I just want to go see it.”