A few good students needed to fill Veishea executive committee positions

Tara Deering

Veishea co-chairs Ben Dohrmann and Kathryn Whitaker are looking for 21 Iowa State students to chair and co-chair 12 Veishea committees.

Although students have not decided whether Veishea will continue this year as an alcohol-free celebration, Dohrmann and Whitaker said they are going ahead with plans as though Veishea will continue.

ISU President Martin Jischke has asked ISU students to decide whether they can go dry for Veishea weekend.

If students support the pledge, Veishea will continue. Jischke is expected to make his announcement in mid-October.

Whitaker said it is important to find students who are interested in helping make this year’s Veishea a success. However, before they can become members, they must take a pledge.

“One thing that is important is that they [applicants] have to support the pledge for an alcohol-free Veishea,” Dohrmann said.

“We ask that they sign the pledge on the application before they apply,” Whitaker said.

Applications have been available for almost two weeks.

All applications are due Friday, Sept. 19, by 5 p.m. in the West Student Office Space of the Memorial Union.

Dohrmann and Whitaker said if all goes well they plan to get started by mid-October.

The 12 committees include entertainment, educational outreach, executive secretary, marketing, open house, operations, parade, public relations, risk management, special events, Stars over Veishea and tournaments.

Though many committees are the same as last year, there is one new one. Dohrmann and Whitaker said risk management is the only new committee for this year.

Some of the committees’ job duties have changed from past years, so the jobs will be more efficient, they said.

Any student can apply to chair a committee. Whitaker said it’s important for applicants to know how to delegate and lead, especially with the public relations and marketing committees.

“Were looking for people with experience in those fields,” Whitaker said.

Chairs of the committees will be responsible for choosing their committee members.

On the application, students are asked to bring proposals for change and new ideas concerning Veishea.

“For our executive board we want top student leaders, because they will actually be leading the committees,” Dohrmann said.

When students turn in their applications they will sign up for an interview time.

Interviews will start Sept. 21 and will continue until Sept. 25.

They said interviews will last about 20 minutes.

The executive board will be selected Sept. 26.

Students aren’t the only ones who have positions for Veishea. Terri Houston, assistant dean of students, and Steve Sullivan, interim manager of news service, are the two advisers for Veishea.

For committee advisers, Dohrmann and Whitaker said they are looking for people who can give perspective to the committee and has experience in the committee.

For more information, call the Veishea office at 294-1026 or Dohrmann at 292-9105 and Whitaker at 292-6578.