Catt protest continues

Arianna Layton

After two years of protesting, members of the September 29th Movement continue with their goal to see the name of Carrie Chapman Catt Hall changed.

The Movement will hold an introductory meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 9, at 7 p.m. in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union to introduce themselves and the purpose of the group.

“Whatever your attitude toward this controversy is, you should come to this meeting because there’s going to be a lot of information and it’s going to be an excellent opportunity to get a different perspective on why Catt Hall should be renamed,” said Brian Johnson, chair of membership for the Movement.

Milton McGriff, a graduate student in English and spokesman for the Movement, said the group will start an ongoing membership drive at the meeting. “We’re going to explain something we’re calling Project 200,” McGriff said.

Project 200 is based on a call to action the group made last spring to recruit 200 members and then have each of those members bring a friend.

The idea being that the group would gain strength in its increased numbers.

McGriff said the discussion at the meeting will cover “the seriousness, the logistics, the risk and all the things we need to know” about Project 200.

A goal the group pursued last year was to have a meeting with President Martin Jischke and a third party facilitator to discuss diversity issues on campus.

Project 200, Johnson said, is an effort to get Jischke to take students seriously.

Johnson said meeting with a facilitator is a “dead issue” to Jischke.

“If we don’t have a mediator there, he is just going to turn it into a circus,” he said.

If Jischke continues to evade such a meeting, the group may respond with a plan calling for 400 students, faculty and staff to go to Jischke’s office and demand a meeting.

“That may mean staying a day or two or three,” McGriff said.

At Tuesday’s meeting, members will also discuss statements made by Carrie Chapman Catt, Johnson said, and “counter misinformation that the administration puts out on a daily basis.”

McGriff said one of the biggest goals for this year is to reopen the naming process for Catt Hall.

He said the naming process for the building was exclusive from the beginning.

He said the women who first recommended naming the building after Carrie Chapman Catt were all white.

He also said the first African- American person who became involved in the dedication questioned it.

“That’s been the beef all along,” Milton said — the exclusion of African-Americans in the naming process.

“We’ve said all along that changing this symbol would show that the university is committed to confronting its own racism,” McGriff said.

The group, he said, likes to think they had something to do with several recent accomplishments for minority groups, such as the dedication of Jack Trice Stadium and the appointment of an African-American Studies program director.

“We will keep pushing and shaking the tree and see what else falls down while we’re trying to get this symbol removed,” McGriff said. However, they are trying to keep the group’s main focus on the renaming process, he said.

The Movement, Johnson said, is working to make its membership more open and more accessible this year by having weekly meetings for anyone to come and ask questions.

The group plans to have one hour meetings every Tuesday at 7 p.m. McGriff said interested people should check at the main desk in the Memorial Union each week for room locations.