‘Dog Town’ gets new identity

Abby Snyder

Campustown is a familiar name and popular place for many Iowa State students. However, few people know Campustown’s history and its plans for the future.

What was once known as the Campustown Merchant Association underwent a name change in June 1996 and is now known as Campustown Action Association.

CAA was formed when businesses first opened in the area. The idea behind the association was to help turn Campustown into a better place to live, work and shop.

The organization of merchants was responsible for building the clock tower in the heart of Campustown, and for planting the trees in the area.

Scott Sackville, co-chairman of CAA said the group wants to encourage people to come out, have fun and experience the culture and history of Campustown.

“The goal of the CAA is to get people to recognize Campustown and its improvements,” he said.

To help accomplish this goal the CAA is starting a new campaign. The theme “Every dog has its day in Campustown” was created by Lonna Nachtigal, graphic artist for the campaign.

Nachtigal wanted to include the history of Campustown into the theme.

Dog Town was the original name of Campustown. The area was given the name Dog Town because it was said to be a rough place to live, and because of the increased commercial development in the area during that time.

Nachtigal said the buildings were often referred to as “prairie dogs.”

She said the community has supported the campaign, which will involve newspaper ads, posters and a current directory of businesses in the area.

“The CAA started this campaign in order for Campustown to gain a sense of identity,” Nachtigal said.

The CAA is busy with future plans. A clean-up day is scheduled for Sept. 16. And a “Crazy Day” is also in the works for mid-October.

The “Crazy Day” will involve live bands, store displays and sidewalk sales.

Many ISU students are already involved with the CAA.

“The primary goal of Campustown is to serve Iowa State students by having the widest array of dining and entertainment choices in the city of Ames,” Kathy Svec, co-chair of CAA, said.

Students are encouraged to get involved by attending CAA meetings. These meetings are held on the second Wednesday of every month at 9 a.m. in the Regency Room of the Memorial Union.