Hunger strike press conference draws more than 200 people

Tara Deering

The September 29th Movement began step three of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s four-step program for civil disobedience Wednesday on the steps of Beardshear Hall.

The Movement held a press conference at 11:30 a.m. at Beardshear that was attended by more than 200 people.

Movement members said they will follow King’s four-step technique, which was mentioned in his “Letter to Birmingham Jail.” The four steps are: collection of evidence to insure that injustice exists, negotiations, self-purification and direct action.

Step three for the Movement will include a daily vigil in Beardshear Hall to show support for Allan Nosworthy, who is on a hunger strike until eight requests regarding diversity on campus are met.

“Allan won’t stop his hunger strike until a meeting is scheduled with President Jischke,” said Milton McGriff, member of the Movement.

Speakers at the press conference included George Jackson, president of the Ames chapter of NAACP, Brian Johnson, member of the Movement, McGriff and Meron Wondwosen, Black Student Alliance president and Movement member.

Members of the Movement passed out red arm bands to supporters.

Johnson said Kathleen MacKay, dean of students, had asked the Movement not to hold the press conference on the front steps of Beardshear Hall. The press conference was held anyway, and McGriff said if “they ask us to leave, we will leave.”

Although MacKay asked for the press conference not to be held, she, along with Thomas Hill, vice president of student affairs, and John McCarroll, director of university relations, were present.

Hill said he could not respond to a question regarding whether the university is considering meeting Nosworthy’s eight requests, which appeared in his letter to the editor in the Daily on Monday.

“There are some things that are going on that I am not at liberty to talk about,” he said.

He said members of the administration are worried about Nosworthy’s health.

McCarroll said there is misinformation about the Movement’s complaint that Jischke will not meet.

He said a meeting was set up in the past with Jischke, but no one from the Movement showed up.

“They have insisted on having a mediator,” McCarroll said. “The president cannot hand over his power of operating the university to a group or person. He has to answer to the [Board of] Regents.”

In an effort to improve the situation with the Movement, McCarroll said Jischke has sought advice from an outside source.

“I understand these people want things to happen faster, but a lot of these things [proposals] are underway,” he said.

In addition to the press conference Wednesday, the Movement plans to hold a candlelight vigil inside Beardshear Hall everyday at 1 p.m.

McCarroll said the university should have no problem with the assemblies as long as they do not interrupt the daily routine of students or faculty.

“This is being conducted in a very organized manner,” he said.

MacKay refused to comment about the press conference.

Speakers mentioned the need for all students to be concerned about diversity on campus.

Jackson said the eight requests made in Nosworthy’s proposal should be supported by the entire student body.

“When you begin to talk about inclusion, do not think for one minute that these things will come without a struggle,” Jackson said.

Wondwosen said BSA will support Nosworthy’s hunger strike.

“Business as usual is over, and the time to the make the correct choice has arrived,” she said. “BSA hopes all students of conscience will support Allan.”

McGriff said if Nosworthy is hospitalized someone will step up and continue the hunger strike.

Today is the fourth day of Nosworthy’s hunger strike. Nosworthy, a member of the Movement and a graduate student in creative writing, began his hunger strike Monday.

Each day at 11:50 a.m., Nosworthy walks up the steps of Beardshear Hall and plays a speech by Martin Luther King, Jr. titled “But, if not.”

Nosworthy said he will walk to Beardshear Hall each day and play the speech until he is no longer able.

Wondwosen said they have been trying to get the university to address most of the issues proposed by Nosworthy for almost two years.

“If Allan dies his blood is on the hands of Jischke,” she said.