Sculptures to be featured in art tour

Jenny Barlow

The University Museums will be offering a 40-minute campus art tour on Wednesday to view the sculptures of Christian Peterson.

The museums host monthly “Wednesday Walks” which give opportunities to the public to become familiar with the art displayed on campus.

This month, sculptor Christian Peterson is the featured artist. His works are common around campus and the tour will focus of three specific sculptures.

“Madonna of the Prairie,” which is located at the Lagomarcino Hall courtyard, will be the first stop on the tour.

“The inspiration for the sculpture is basically tribute to the prairie woman,” Marilyn Vaughn, communications specialist for University Museums said.

MacKay Hall houses the second sculpture, called “The Wedding Ring.”

“The children represented in the sculpture symbolize the jewels of marriage,” Vaughn said.

The original sculpture is actually located inside the hall and is a reproduction of the piece outside. Problems with vandalism caused some concern and the original was moved inside as a result.

The final work which will be discussed is the “Boy and Girl Statues” at Parks Library. This sculpture shows Peterson’s sense of humor because of the body language between the boy and the girl, Vaughn said.

After creating Iowa State’s Dairy Industry Courtyard fountain in 1937, Christian Peterson became the sculptor-in-residence until 1955.

Peterson was appointed to the ISU faculty in 1937 and was later named an associate professor of art.

He originally came to Iowa by the request of Grant Wood to work on a Public Works of Art project.

The tour, guided by University Museum’s Educational Director Rene Senter, will begin at the southern entrance of Lagomarcino Hall courtyard at noon.

Wednesday Walks are free to the public.