Engineers heading overseas

Staci Hupp

Some Iowa State engineering majors are packing their bags to enhance their education experience overseas.

In conjunction with the Office of the Provost and universities and businesses worldwide, the College of Engineering has announced its International Education and Internship Program.

Aimed at sophomores and juniors, the program enables students to study at universities in Australia, Norway, Sweden, England, Germany, Singapore and Japan.

Students will also have the opportunity to work for multinational corporations such as General Motors, Gateway 2000 and Dow Corning.

Glen Schrader, the program’s coordinator and a professor of chemical engineering, said the opportunity originated more than a year ago as a “spin-off” of the exchange program.

“It evolved from developments of exchange programs I’ve worked with over the years,” he said.

He said it not only gives students valuable knowledge and skills, but also a look at the cultural perspective of engineering.

“It’s a logical extension for practical work experience,” he said. “Companies really like that the students are getting this kind of experience, and students really enjoy this unique opportunity.”

Julie Olson, a junior in chemical engineering, spent a semester studying at the National University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, Norway. While taking engineering, Norwegian history and language classes, she interned for one of the largest industrial-university cooperative research facilities in northern Europe.

“The project was enticing,” Olson said. “I can’t think of a better social and humanities elective than studying abroad.”

Schrader said through the exchange, international students also have the chance to work and study in the United States.

“It goes the other way, too,” he said. “Students from other countries work a co-op for a company in the United States, then go back overseas and transfer that technology to that location.”

He said students and locations are chosen through a selection and interview process conducted by company representatives and faculty members. Although organizers have held two formal meetings this year, he said applications are still being accepted.

“They are welcome to apply any time of the year,” he said. “Students apply for a particular country, and most have been able to go where they want to go,” he said.

He added that trip expenses and costs of living overseas are fairly comparable to tuition and board at ISU, and some companies help students handle the costs.

“The costs are getting there and living arrangements,” he said. “But some companies, like GM, contribute airfare and costs of living.”

He also said scholarships are available through the College of Engineering.

Schrader said international study is a rarity for most engineering students, and people at ISU should take advantage of the opportunity.

“I think there are few, if any, similar programs in the U.S.,” he said.