Pease Family Scholar on campus

Arianna Layton

Lawrence F. Locke, professor emeritus of physical education at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, has been named the first Pease Family Scholar at Iowa State.

Locke will be on campus this week from Wednesday to Friday to meet with faculty, staff and students.

He will give a public lecture Thursday on “Songs from the Coal Mine Canary: Struggling With State Regulation of School Physical Education.” The lecture will be held at 7:30 p.m. in the Gallery of the Memorial Union.

The Pease Visiting Scholar program is in the ISU College of Education’s department of health and human performance.

The Pease Family Scholar Fund was created in 1991 in memory of Harvey and Bornell Pease of Newport Beach, Calif. It was created by their son, Dean A. Pease, former chair of Iowa State’s department of health and human performance, and his wife, Sally Pease, administrative assistant to the director of Iowa State’s Memorial Union, to bring visiting scholars to campus.

Camilla Benbow, interim dean of education, said, “Their gift will enhance learning opportunities for students and faculty throughout the university.”

Locke was a mentor of Dean Pease, who died in 1994, said Dean Anderson, professor and chair of the Department of Health and Human Performance.

Anderson said he is pleased Locke accepted the invitation to be the first Pease Family Scholar.

“Dr. Locke has always been on the forefront of the fight to improve programs that educate people toward a lifestyle of health and physical activity,” he said.

“Like Dean Pease, he has always worked toward making schools and universities more effective in meeting student and client needs in this area.”

Anderson said he has heard Locke speak and has read some of his works, “Larry brings a unique perspective to many of the issues and controversies in our field.”

One issue he said Locke has studied is the process of promotion and tenure.

Locke is currently conducting a study on the social and political conditions that encourage and sustain outstanding public school physical education programs.

In 1992, Locke was presented with the Curriculum and Instruction Academy Honor Award from the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.

The American Educational Research Association’s outstanding doctoral dissertation award is named for Locke.

He is an active Fellow of the American Academy of Kinesiology and Physical Education.

In 1995 he was the National Association for Physical Education in Higher Education’s Dudley Allen Sargent Lecturer and was recognized with the association’s Distinguished Scholar Award the following year.