ISU breaks streak, beats UNI twice

Staci Hupp

In their final home doubleheader Tuesday, the Cyclone softball team defeated Northern Iowa, 6-5 and 8-6, breaking an eight-game losing streak.

Senior Debbie Nease, freshman Jessica Polo and sophomore Raven Coberg heated up the bats, pounding a home run apiece.

ISU Head Coach Ruth Crowe credited her team on a strong offensive performance and positive attitudes.

“We were able to put a lot of things together, and lots of people stepped up in very critical situations,” she said.

UNI started off game one placing two runners in scoring position with just one out. But starting pitcher Nease shut down two Panther batters to close the half-inning, and ISU sparked its own offensive rally.

Sophomore Erin Woods led off with a hard-hit single to left field and advanced on freshman Robyn Riedler’s sacrifice bunt. Senior catcher Brenna Miller then singled to drive in Woods, and Nease cranked her third home run of the year, scoring two additional runs. At the bottom of the first, the Cyclones took a 3-0 advantage.

The Panthers retaliated in their half of the third, notching two runs and tightening the score, 3-2. They struck again in the fifth, this time collecting two hits to send three runs across the plate.

But ISU recovered as freshman Lauren Koelemay singled and Riedler contributed an RBI double. Polo’s two-run homer put the Cyclones on top in the bottom of the fifth, 6-5.

Senior Courtney Dully, who relieved Riedler in the sixth, struck out four Panthers in a row to help seal the victory. Nease took the win, striking out three batters, walking four and allowing seven hits.

The Cyclones scattered nine hits in the second game, including Coberg’s two-run homer, to fend off the Panthers a second time. Despite a three-run deficit in late innings, ISU pulled out an 8-6 triumph.

Dully notched the win, striking out six batters, walking three and allowing three hits.

ISU assumed an early 1-0 lead, but the Panthers took charge from there, scoring three runs in the second and third innings. The Cyclones fought back in the bottom of the third as Nease ripped an RBI triple to tie it up, 3-3.

But UNI overshadowed ISU’s efforts in the fourth, sending in three runs. The Cyclones were unable to answer until the sixth inning when they ignited an offensive run. The Cyclones then began their quest for a second win.

Miller took second on a Panther error and reached home when Coberg smashed a home run over the left field fence. Junior Missy Danilson added a single and scored on junior Jaime Kahler’s double. Woods then reached on another error, and Riedler chipped in two RBIs, giving the Cyclones an 8-6 lead. ISU held on in the seventh to clutch the win.

Riedler replaced Dully in the fourth inning, striking out four batters, walking none and giving up three hits.

“It felt very good to finish this way,” Crowe said. “We had the majority of our younger players in the lineup of both games, and they did an outstanding job.”

The Cyclones head to Oklahoma City Wednesday for the Big 12 tournament, which kicks off May 2.