A plethora of activities this weekend

Erin Payne

That time of year has come again. It’s the time Iowa State students talk about all year long … it’s Veishea.

Veishea’s letters represent tradition because they stand for the old colleges of the university. Although tradition is deeply rooted in the Veishea celebration, as each year passes, more history is added. Some of it’s good and to some, some of the history is not so good.

Iowa State plays host to the largest student-run organization in the country when it puts on Veishea. With something of that magnitude, students, alumni and visitors are sure to have a good time.

This year’s celebration offers a spectrum of activities that the Veishea committee has been working since last year. Stars over Veishea will present Bye, Bye Birdie this week. There’s also Taste of Veishea in Campustown, a golf classic, a hypnotist at Rock Da Rec, a barbecue, a Take Back the Night rally and much more.

Although the entire week is full of fanfare, nothing measures up to Saturday. With campus as the center of activity, Cy’s Big Top, canoe races, a carillon concert, the spring football game, a comedian and talent show are scheduled for Saturday’s fun. But the hub of activity will be the parade.

We recall our childhood when we think of parades. We remember sitting on the curb waiting for the fire truck to throw us some candy while our parents warned us to be careful every time we darted from the curb to snatch up those Tootsie Rolls. But the Veishea parade is a little different …

Instead of eating candy, many parade-goers will be sipping the brew. (But not necessarily at the parade.)

And this is where individual history is added to the Veishea experience.

Although there are a lot of activities at Veishea, much of what goes on takes place off campus. Taking a gander at Veishea in the past, probably one of the most memorable and most talked about Veishea is 1992’s riots.

Even though I was a sophomore in high school during the riot, I have heard more about that Veishea than the ones I have attended.

And every time the celebration nears, everyone, including police, Veishea officials, students and the media, recall the riots.

It was a time when people tipped cars and burned couches and everything else in sight. Some thought it was fun, some thought it was funny, some thought it was stupid and some thought it was scary.

When students talk about the riots, most of them say, “Man, that would’ve been cool to be at the riots. Why don’t we start a riot this year — it will be better than other riots.”

Okay. Problem here. Thinking riots are good is rather messed up thinking. Remember the Los Angeles riots? Do you remember much good coming out of those?

But the attention the riots draw keep students and everyone else questioning whether this is a year of the riot. And if this is a riot year, people will say they knew Veishea was ripe for another disturbance.

Instead of comparing Veishea to those in the past, concentrate on having fun this year.

There are other fun things to do for Veishea. Of course, there are parties — the center of Veishea activity. Veishea parties are what you save your pop and beer deposit money for all year long. And parties give you the chance to meet a whole score of people, including your fellow Iowa Staters, and the hoards of people who come from out of town.

Sometimes there are so many people from out of town, that you don’t even run into any Cyclones as you mingle. But mingling the crowd is a great opportunity to find the man or woman of your dreams or just your Veishea fling.

And don’t forget, there’s going to be an 80’s Dance Party on Friday night at Taste of Veishea in Campustown.

We are children of the 80’s, as much as some people hate to admit it. We should celebrate our decade — and there’s no better way to do that than to shake it down by the clocktower.

What are your Veishea plans? You could go to the parade, get sick from concession stand food or get sick from drinking too much. You could get arrested for public intox, go to Stars over Veishea or be hypnotized at the rec. Or, you could riot. But there’s just one thing you must do, no matter what — have fun.

Erin Payne is a junior in journalism and mass communication and political science from Rock Rapids.