Symposium showcases speakers

Teresa Haberer

Some of the most respected authorities on Native American tradition will visit Iowa State this weekend as part of the 26th Annual Symposium of the American Indian.

The Symposium’s co-chairman, David Gradwohl, said he is “extremely pleased” with this year’s lineup of guest presenters, which includes environmental activist Charlotte Black Elk, musician Joanne Shenandoah and author Linda Hogan.

“We’re just delighted that Charlotte Black Elk can be here. She’s always booked,” Gradwohl said.

Black Elk is well-known for being the great-granddaughter of Nicholas Black Elk, the subject of author John Neihardt’s famous book “Black Elk Speaks.”

An environmental activist, as well as an authority on Lakota oral tradition, Black Elk speaks about her desire for the Black Hills area of South Dakota to be returned to the Sioux Nation.

Black Elk will present “Teaching Tradition: Ceremonies for Women” in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union at 8 p.m.

Singer/songwriter Joanne Shenandoah, a Wolf Clan member of the Iroquois Confederacy — Oneida Nation, will present both a free music workshop and concert on campus.

Selected the 1994 Native Musician of the Year, Shenandoah toured throughout the United Sates and Europe, performing at Woodstock ’94 and the 1995 Earth Day Celebration in Washington, D.C.

Shenandoah also created the soundtrack for television’s “Northern Exposure” and has been nominated for a Pulitzer Prize in music for one of her compositions.

Her free music workshop, “Contemporary Expressions in Song,” will take place in Memorial Union’s South Ballroom Saturday at 1 p.m.

Shenandoah also will perform a live concert at Fisher Theater Saturday at 8 p.m.

Multi-award winning author Linda Hogan, of Chickasaw heritage, will be on campus to read from her latest book and to speak about the Native American world view.

“Anyone who goes to listen to Linda Hogan will be exposed to a writer of great talent and a person who has thought wise and well about how we should dwell in this world,” said Steve Pett, associate English professor who teaches the ISU Native American Literature class.

An instructor with the University of Colorado Creative Writing Program, Hogan has been honored for many of her collections of poetry and short stories. She received the American Book Award for her poetry collection “Seeing Through the Sun” and was a Pulitzer Prize finalist for her novel “Mean Spirit.”

Hogan will present “Dwellings: A Spiritual History of the Living World” at the Sun Room of the Union Monday at 8 p.m.

The Symposium “fits in well with the goal of increased diversity on campus,” Gradwohl said. “Events like this are very important for cross-cultural understanding.”

An open event, “What is Indian Studies?” sponsored by the CIRCLE Conference, will feature educator Robert Fields in Room 302 Carrie Chapman Catt Hall today at 11 a.m.

On Saturday at 11 a.m. a panel discussion, “Where is the Indian Student?” will take place in the South Ballroom of the Union.