Senate to focus on revisions

Carolyn Kapaska

Tonight’s Faculty Senate meeting will focus on draft revisions for Iowa State’s evaluation, promotion and tenure documents.

“The revisions will basically give people who work with patents the chance for evaluation,” said Barbara Mack, secretary of the Faculty Senate.

Mack said a specific Faculty Senate committee has come up with the draft revision. The committee has reviewed the ISU promotion and tenure criteria and procedures and have made recommendations for changes.

Mack said the university has based evaluations on three areas: activity in teaching, research and service.

“As a professor, you must show that you’re competent in all three and excellent in research and teaching,” Mack said.

The new strategic plan, Mack said, throws out all three and creates guidelines for specific areas.

“Every position will have certain responsibilities,” Mack said. “Every professor will have to decide on these responsibilities.”

Mack said the new plan will provide an adequate base for evaluation.

She said the professors will actually be judged on how well they are doing their jobs.

“It should be interesting,” Mack said. “It will raise a lot of hackles around here because it’s different.”

In other news

Tom Loynachan, professor of agronomy, will announce the discontinuation of the master of engineering degree in industrial engineering tonight.

Loynachan said there have been recommendations to discontinue the master of engineering degree from the engineering college to the Faculty Senate.

“It’s mainly just a vote,” Loynachan said. “It appears to be relatively noncontroversial.”

Mack said enrollment in the masters program has been declining. In fall of 1996, five students enrolled and no students enrolled in 1992 or 1993, she said.

Students currently in the program will be able to complete their degrees. The industrial engineering masters degree will be replaced with a master of science non-thesis program, Mack said.

Tonight’s meeting will be held in Room 260 of the Scheman Building at 7:30 p.m.