Faculty members recommended for professor, associate professor

Arianna Layton

The promotion and tenure list, sent to the Iowa Board of Regents this month, includes recommendations for 22 faculty members to be promoted to professor and 33 faculty members to be promoted to associate professor.

Two faculty members who are presently associate professors have been endorsed for tenure.

Three women faculty members are being recommended for promotion to professor and 11 are on the list to be made associate professors. Ten women have been suggested for tenure.

Of the 55 faculty members who are being promoted to professor or associate professor, three are Asian/Pacific Islanders, two are Hispanic and one is Native American.

From the College of Agriculture, faculty who already have tenure and are recommended for promotion to professor are Stephen K. Barnhart, agronomy; Arne Hallam, economics; Michael Lee, agronomy and zoology and genetics; Jonathan A. Sandor, agronomy; and Hal S. Stern, statistics.

Suggestions for untenured faculty to be promoted to professor include Douglas D. Buhler, agronomy; and Kendall R. Lamkey, agronomy. Those to be promoted to associate professor include Marcus E. Kehrli, Jr., microbiology, immunology, and preventive medicine and animal science; David A. Laird, agronomy; and Sally D. Logsdon, agronomy.

Tenured faculty Thomas D. Glanville, agricultural and biosystems engineering, was recommended for promotion to associate professor.

Several faculty were put forward for promotion to associate professor with tenure. They are Linda Ambrosio, zoology and genetics; Joan E. Cunnick, microbiology, immunology and preventive medicine and psychology; Alan A. Dispirito, microbiology, immunology and preventive medicine; Mark S. Kaiser, statistics; John D. Lawrence, economics; Sarah M. Nusser, statistics; Donald S. Sakaguchi, zoology and genetics; Howard D. Tyler, animal science; and Daniel F. Voytas, zoology and genetics.

From the College of Business, Michael R. Crum, already tenured in transportation and logistics, was named for promotion to professor and James M. Kurtenbach, accounting, was listed for promotion to associate professor with tenure.

From the College of Design, William F. Conway, architecture, was named for potential promotion to associate professor with tenure.

From the College of Engineering, Kenneth Bergeson, civil and construction engineering, was listed for promotion to professor, and Thomas D. Glanville, agricultural and biosystems engineering, was recommended for promotion to associate professor. Both already have tenure.

The College of Family and Consumer Sciences nominees for promotion to professor are Cynthia N. Fletcher, human development and family studies, and Suzanne Hendrich, food science and human nutrition, who both have tenure.

Cathy Hui-Chun Hsu, hotel, restaurant and institution management, was recommended for promotion to associate professor with tenure retroactive to July 1, 1996.

From Parks Library, Kathy A. Parsons, already tenured, is listed for promotion to associate professor. Recommendations for promotion to associate professor with tenure are Edward A. Goedeken, Wayne A. Pedersen, Tyler O. Walters and Gregory J. Wool. Gordon S. Rowley was recommended to tenure as associate professor.

From the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, recommendations of tenured faculty to be promoted to professor include Brenda O. Daly, English; Danny Douglas, English; David Fernandez-Baca, computer science; Richard C. Freed, English; Eric R. Henderson, zoology and genetics; Carl E. Jacobson, geological and atmospheric sciences; Steven D. Kawaler, physics and astronomy; Hal S. Stern, statistics; John Stufken, statistics; Michael Tringides, physics and astronomy; and George P. Work, music.

Janice E. Buss, biochemistry and biophysics, was recommended to tenure as associate professor.

Suggestions for promotion to associate professor with tenure include Joan E. Cunnick, psychology and microbiology, immunology and preventive medicine; Scott W. Hansen, mathematics; Kristen M. Johansen, zoology and genetics; Mark S. Kaiser, statistics; Kathy S. Leonard, foreign languages and literature; Francis R. Mariner, foreign languages and literature; Sarah M. Nusser, statistics; Tom W. Rice, political science; Donald S. Sakaguchi, zoology and genetics; Joseph A. Tiffany, physics and astronomy; German Valencia,physics and astronomy; David L. Wallace, English; and Susan F. Yager, English.

From the College of Veterinary Medicine, tenured faculty Ronald K. Myers, veterinary pathology, was listed for promotion to professor and Claudia J. Baldwin, veterinary clinical sciences, was recommended for promotion to associate professor with tenure.