VP finalists named

Tracy Deutmeyer

Six finalists were chosen Tuesday for Iowa State’s vice president for student affairs position.

The candidates are vying to replace long-time Vice President Tom Thielen. Thielen, a well-liked administrator, resigned his vice president position last year.

Each finalist will visit ISU for a two-day interview process in weeks to come, said Provost John Kozak. Kozak is chairman of the search committee.

The finalists include: Linda Kuk, vice president for student affairs at the Rochester Institute of Technology in New York; Barbara Hancock Snyder, vice chancellor for student affairs at the University of Nebraska-Kearney; Thomas Hill, dean for student services at the University of Florida in Gainesville; Randy Hyman, associate vice president for student affairs at Ball State University in Munice, Ind.; Edward Whipple, vice president for student affairs at Bowling Green State University in Ohio; and David Meabon, vice president for student affairs at the University of Toledo in Ohio.

Kozak said each finalist will interview with ISU President Martin Jischke and the search committee, as well as a range of other constituencies including the director of the Memorial Union, the Faculty Senate, the P & S Council and various student organizations.

“It’s everything from soups to nuts,” Kozak said.

Each candidate will also meet with members of the public in a one-hour open forum. “Everyone that has an interest in the candidate will have an opportunity to meet with the candidates,” Kozak said. “It will be a very intensive two-day process.”

Thielen resigned Dec. 31, 1996.

Kozak said the salary for the new vice president is under “matters of negotiation” between President Jischke and the finalists.

Thielen earned a base salary of $122,000.

Kozak said as a result of an agreement between Jischke and Dan Robinson, interim vice president for student affairs, Robinson agreed not to seek the position permanently.

Government of the Student Body President Adam Gold said the new vice president for student affairs should be willing to reach out to students and see students’ perspectives.

“The vice president for student affairs is one of the most demanding jobs in the university,” Gold said.

The search committee met on April 5 to put together a suggested list of candidates for President Jischke.

Jischke reviewed the list over the weekend before it was finalized.