Students ready to ad it up

Tracy Deutmeyer

Portfolios in hand, many Iowa State students stopped in at Ad Day on Wednesday to get some advice for their future careers.

Sponsored by the ISU Ad Club, students of all majors checked out Ad Day in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union to try out a mock interview with staff from Career Services or receive a portfolio review from a design professor, said Juston Brommel, Ad Club vice president of special events.

“Ad Day is an annual event sponsored by the Ad Club to provide input outside the classroom,” he said.

He said although students of any major could check out Ad Day, the event was directly targeted for design and ad majors.

“It adds to what you learn in the classroom,” he said.

Along with Ad Day activities, the Ad Club meets every other Wednesday in Hamilton Hall, and once a month a speaker from an advertising agency or a television station visits the meetings, Brommel said.

“Ad Club is a great opportunity for people who want a future in advertising,” said Heidi Heineman, a member of the Ad Club.

This week Ad Club members are keeping busy. Today about 20 members will leave for Minneapolis where they will visit three advertising agencies and a creative department, Brommel said.

Heineman said taking trips is one of the best parts of Ad Club.

“It’s great to take trips where you get to party like rock stars,” she said.

Ad Club members will visit Miller-Meester, Carmichael Lynch and Fallon-McElligot advertising agencies and Dayton’s in-house creative department.

“I’m definitely looking forward to it. It gives us great insight of what agencies are really like,” said Nate Miller, Ad Club vice president of special events.

As a member of the Ad Club, Brommel said students are automatically a part of the American Advertising Federation.

“Ad Club is just a campus extension of the AAF,” he said.

Ken Rosales, Ad Club vice president of publicity, said AAF holds a regional and national competition each year and some club members have formed a team to compete in the first round of competition, the regional competition, which will be held April 24-27 in St. Louis.

He said each team is given a client and is asked to formulate an advertising campaign. The ISU team’s client is Pizza Hut this year.