Cabinet building begins

Arianna Layton

Rob Wiese and Matt McLaren, Government of Student Body president and vice president-elects, respectively, are interviewing cabinet applicants and have already selected appointees for finance director and chief of staff for their 1997-98 cabinet.

Jeremy Williams, a junior in computer engineering, has been named the top choice for finance director. Ryan Glanzer, a junior in finance, was named for the chief-of-staff position. Both nominees will have to be approved by the Senate.

During a news conference with a journalism class Monday, Wiese said GSB’s main problem has been the people serving in it. He said he and McLaren want to find the best people for the job.

“We’re looking for some good people to get some things done next year,” Wiese said.

Wiese said his cabinet members will have important roles to play in carrying out plans to increase communication between GSB and the student body.

For example, the new director of student information, who Wiese said has been underutilized in the past, will be in charge of giving weekly updates on GSB activities to the Daily, KURE and STV-9.

That way, he said, when things come up, no one will be surprised because they will be well informed.

Glanzer’s duties, Wiese said, will be to make senators accountable to their constituents. He said he hopes students will get involved by talking to their GSB representatives and talking to Wiese if their representatives fail to listen.

He said Williams will be responsible for keeping the Senate advised on how much money in the GSB Discretionary Fund is being spent and how fast it’s going.

Wiese also said to keep track of next year’s GSB funds he will use a simple method he learned in the Inter-Residence Hall Association. He said GSB officials will keep a running account of GSB funds on a board and update it as the Senate passes spending bills. Wiese is the current IRHA president

McLaren, who served on the GSB Finance Committee, said he plans to make the Finance Committee more diverse and will seek out members from around campus who have previously been treasurers of campus organizations.

“I haven’t seen a lot of good come out of [GSB],” Wiese said. He said he thought with his and McLaren’s experience in student government, they might be able to change that.

Applications for all other cabinet positions are still available. Wiese said he encourages everyone interested to apply. Applications are due this Friday at 5 p.m. in the Memorial Union’s GSB office.