Four years later, still no vet med rep

Tara Deering

Since the 1993-94 academic year, there has been an empty seat at the Government of the Student Body Senate meetings.

For four years, the College of Veterinary Medicine has been without a GSB senator, and after last week’s GSB elections, it looks like 1997-98 year will mark another term without a vet med senator.

No vet med students ran or were elected. There is a Veterinary Medicine Council that can appoint someone to the Senate seat, but in four years, no one has been appointed.

Angela Daniels, a second-year graduate student in veterinary medicine, said one of the reasons there isn’t a vet med senator is because vet med students have five representatives on the Graduate Student Senate, which helps fund the College of Veterinary Medicine. Veterinary medicine is a professional program, meaning funding comes only through GSS, not through GSB.

The college is allowed one representative to GSS for every 50 vet med students. Daniels said there will be eight representatives on GSS next year.

Tammy Anderson, a sophomore in veterinary medicine, said she thinks veterinary medicine students aren’t involved in GSB because they’re too busy.

“There’s a lot of boards and committees that people are on within the college,” Anderson said. She said being involved in GSB probably isn’t one of the top priorities for vet med students.

Still, Rob Wiese, GSB president-elect, said he would like to see the seat filled. Wiese said he and Vice President-Elect Matt McLaren will advertise the position within the vet med college.

Wiese said he is currently working with the Veterinary Medicine Council to promote GSB participation.