Need some help funding a student activity? Don’t bother asking GSB

Tara Deering

The well has run dry.

Government of the Student Body officials say the Senate Discretionary Fund is tapped out, meaning for most Iowa State student organizations, making the proverbial pitch to the GSB Senate for funds for activities and the popular conference trips will do no good. The Senate ran out of money when it passed two funding bills at the March 3 GSB meeting.

Todd Swanson, GSB’s finance director, said questions over the fund’s wealth arose when the Senate passed a funding bill for The Educational Computing Club (TECC). GSB President Adam Gold vetoed the bill before spring break, saying what little money is left in the fund could be better spent.

John Hamilton, business, said he and Mark Nimmer, off campus, predicted that the Discretionary Fund would be depleted sometime in March.

They were correct.

Last year, the fund didn’t run dry until April.

Hamilton said the reason the fund ran out so soon is a matter of numbers. More student organizations typically want money in the spring. In the fall, there is usually more money than expected in the fund at the end of the semester, he said.

Hamilton urged the Senate to exercise caution when dishing out cash. Hamilton said GSB may not be able to fund all groups fully, but all groups should get some money. “Groups come expecting to get all the money they’re asking for, but they should come expecting to get some of it,” he said.

Hamilton said he doesn’t advocate taking more money from student fees to fatten the fund because GSB would simply give out more money.

Gold said, “You can’t preach fiscal responsibility and consistency enough” when it comes to funding.

“The Senate’s been giving money away like it’s water,” he added.

Gold said there might well be organizations that could put GSB money to good use in the coming weeks, but there’s nothing left for them.

Gold also said senators need to make sure GSB cash is being spent wisely. “When groups ask for $1,500 there really isn’t a discussion in the Senate about allocating the money,” Gold said. “They don’t think $1,500 is a lot of money.”