Need a cigarette? Have your ID ready

Erin Payne

Most Iowa State students who pick up a pack of cigarettes will be forced to pull out some identification, compliments of a new federal law that requires clerks to card everyone age 27 and under.

The law went into effect Friday. Previously, stores were required to ask for an ID when someone looked under 18, the legal age to purchase tobacco products. Under the new law, store clerks who fail to ask for ID will face fines ranging from $250 to $1,000.

Businesses are reacting to the new law by training their clerks, posting signs and warning their cigarette customers.

Bill Detweiler, personnel manager at the Ames Save U More Foods, said cashiers know that if they are not sure the customer is 27 or older, identification must be requested. However, if the cashier knows the customer by name and knows the customer’s age because of a previous sale, the law doesn’t require the cashier to keep carding the customer.

But how do cashiers tell whether they should card a customer who’s buying tobacco products?

“We’re going to be asking if they look like they’re 40,” said Mike Lee, manager of the Ames Cub Foods Store.

Like most laws that require carding, many customers may be upset about having to show their IDs. “It’s going to be the cashiers that take the brunt,” Lee said. “They’re just doing their job.”

“We’ve had a few negative comments about it, not that I blame them,” said Buddy Jones, manager of Kum and Go, 203 Welch Ave.

Jones said the new law is a bit extreme, “especially for a store where 99 percent of business is a campus area. … Ninety-nine percent of students are under the age of 25.”

“It’s impossible to ID everyone,” Jones said.

Although he isn’t overjoyed by the law, Jones said he understands the position of lawmakers. Because Kum and Go has about the same student body in the store everyday, Jones said he hopes customers will be patient as the store adjusts.

“Eventually, I think it’ll tone down a bit [because] we have no control over it and we have to abide by it,” Jones said.

Because of signs posted for the customers and media attention, many cigarette smokers have been warned of the law.

Save U More cigarettes are kept behind its customer service counter, Detweiler said. At the end of the summer, another law will put a halt to self-service cigarette sales, including vending machines.

“We’re kind of a step ahead of that because starting in August, they must be contained,” Detweiler said.

Although it may be a hassle on both sides of the counter, some store managers agree that the law will cut down on minors who want to light up. “It’s a good idea to help discipline younger kids from starting to smoke,” Detweiler said.

“This law has a good purpose,” Lee added. “I’m for it 100 percent. I just hope customers understand.”