It’s gonna be the bomb, baby

Rhaason Mitchell

With the 20th annual Big Eight Conference on Black Student Government being held here this weekend, it promises to be a weekend the Iowa State community will not soon forget. At least I know I won’t.

As a member of the black student body at Iowa State it excites me to think this weekend there will be more black people on this campus than ever in the history of Iowa State.

It excites me to think for about four days Iowa State is gonna look like Harlem during the renaissance.

More than 1,000 people are expected to arrive this weekend for the conference. They are coming from all the Big 12 schools even places like Rice, DMACC and Drake, not to mention about 40 other institutions throughout the Midwest.

Can you picture it? Almost 2,000 African-American students all gathered in one place for a weekend. Chillin’, kickin’ it, having a good time, educating themselves, networking and sharing experiences. IT’S GONNA BE THE BOMB, BABY!!!

And believe me when I say it’s gonna be the bomb, I mean IT’S GONNA BE THE BOMB, BABY!!!

Many prominent people such as Dr. Julia Hare, CEO of The Black Think Tank, and Dr. Ivan Van Sertima author of “They Came Before Columbus” have given many memorable speeches and conducted many exhilarating workshops.

This year’s conference is going to feature plenty of speakers like Elaine Brown, Rev. Willie Wilson, Dr. Jawanza Kunjufu and Clifton Tolbert just to name a few.

I don’t know if you can see my excitement, but man, the closer it gets the more excited I get.

Every year the host institution of the conference has a theme and this year is no different. This year’s theme is Black POWER Revisited.

Now before you go and start biting your finger nails and getting frightened or worried or letting visions of FOI and Black Panthers floating in your head, you may be happy to know that while Milton McGriff will be there, as far as I know Bobby Seale and Minister Farrakhan are not going to be in attendance. But then again one never knows does one?

However, don’t be no fool, because the black gloves are ready and they will be held high whenever called upon. Just like Mexico City in ’68.

The conference is about more than speakers and workshops. It’s about more than networking and education. I’ll tell you what it’s all about — the parties. The comedy show on Thursday, the step show on Saturday and the parties on Friday and Saturday. That’s what it’s all about: getting down and shaking your ass.

No, see you are laughing, you think I’m joking. I’m funky, laying in the ground, worm food, just had a heart attack type serious. Because you know one of the highlights of the weekend will be the 70’s party. So get your bell bottoms and your Afro wig, don’t forget the black power fist pick. If you’re having problems, just go rent the movie “Cooley High” and pick up some pointers. But don’t show up looking like Preach ’cause that’s gonna be my outfit.

But seriously, the unity, the camaraderie and the people is what it is all about. The conference is to help us keep our focus, to tell us that we have to keep striving for success and accept nothing less. The conference helps us to keep focus on the present with eyes toward the future while remembering the past. The conference is to keep us together and strong.

Personally, it will be the first one I will attend. This is something I do regret. However, I intend to enjoy this one to the best of my ability (if only I could get out of that French test on Friday, I would probably enjoy it a whole lot more.)

This conference should be looked at as more than an opportunity for the black students of Iowa State to show off themselves and their campus. It should be seen as an opportunity for the entire ISU community to show off. This is a great moment for Ames to show off.

Ever been to a step show? Come on out and see one.

Wondering what a gospel extravaganza is? Come on out and hear one.

The programs are not only for black students, as all members of the Ames and ISU community are asked, expected and encouraged to attend. So come on out and see some excitement.

Even Iowa State has risen to the challenge and is affording the BSA and the conference committee any and everything they can in order to make this year’s conference a success.

For once I can feel proud to say I am an Iowa State student. And you know what? It sure feels good.

Iowa State is the stage and the stage is set. The people are packing their clothes and gassing up their cars. The hotels and motels are fixing the rooms up real nice.

I hear them — don’t you?

Listen.

IT’S GONNA BE THE BOMB, BABY!!!

See? I told you. I know I’m gonna be there … will you?

C-ya when I c-ya. Peace!

Rhaason Mitchell is a junior in journalism and mass communication from Chicago.