Kendall joins classes for a day

Keesia Wirt

Frances Kendall, a diversity facilitator from California, was on campus Tuesday and Wednesday to speak with students, faculty and staff in the College of Education.

Kendall, who is a diversity educator, consultant and author, was invited to Iowa State by two ISU professors who received a grant to fund the visit.

“She’s an expert in helping people in the workplace deal with diversity issues and organizational change,” Theresa McCormick, professor of curriculum and instruction, said.

Karen Donaldson, assistant professor in curriculum and instruction with an emphasis in multicultural education, said Frances Kendall’s visit is important to Iowa State because the university is seeking to promote awareness and acceptance of diversity on campus.

“Students desperately need this type of education to survive in the world today,” Donaldson said. “Her gracious style of communication and expertise help to open the minds of many who have been unexposed to the issues and refuel those who have worked diligently to advocate for a successful, pluralistic society.”

McCormick said Kendall’s visit is part of the faculty development project to develop diversity curriculum in the College of Education.

Kendall attended education classes throughout the day on Wednesday. Some of the topics she discussed with students were: “Curriculum Materials Evaluation for Racism,” “Phonics and Structural Analysis,” “Prejudice Based on Age, SES, Religion and Exceptionality,” “Anti-Racist Curriculum” and “Effective Discussion About Controversial Issues.”

Mary Strong, assistant professor of curriculum and instruction, said Kendall spoke to her undergraduate language arts and reading class Wednesday morning.

“I think that someone with a different set of experiences, other than the students and mine, is always interesting,” she said.

Strong said Kendall discussed the controversy of whole language teaching versus phonics teaching.

“She talked about the controversy of teaching traditional methods of reading versus the whole language theory,” Strong said.

Kendall’s visit was possible because of a grant from the Miller Faculty Development program. The Miller grant is funded by the provost’s office and provides faculty members with opportunities to develop curriculum for diversity purposes, McCormick said.

After speaking to seven education classes, Kendall attended a reception for faculty and students. The reception was titled “Conversations about Anti-Racist Curriculum in Teacher Education.”

At 8 p.m. Kendall lectured on “Strategies for Institutional Change During a Period of Backlash” in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

Kendall was at Iowa State last April to moderate a discussion between President Martin Jischke and members of The September 29th Movement.