Gold, BSA chief praise committee’s Trice decision

Keesia Wirt

Government of the Student Body President Adam Gold said Tuesday that he will ask for his own meeting with the regents if Iowa State President Martin Jischke decides not to recommend that Cyclone Stadium be renamed in honor of Jack Trice.

Gold hastened to add, however, that he doesn’t think that will be necessary.

ISU’s Advisory Committee on the Naming of Buildings and Streets recommended to Jischke on Sunday that the university change the name of Cyclone Stadium/Jack Trice Field to Jack Trice Stadium. Trice was ISU’s first black athlete and the only Cyclone ever who died because of injuries sustained during competition. He died in 1923.

“Obviously I think it’s terrific. I think it really shows that GSB can accomplish something. Students have been trying to do this for 22 years and we finally got it done,” Gold said.

GSB unanimously passed a resolution last spring that called for a name change.

If Jischke does recommend changing the name, Gold said he assumes the president will take his recommendation to the regents at their Feb. 19 meeting in Iowa City.

The regents must make the final decision, but it isn’t likely they would act contrary to Jischke’s recommendation.

Jischke has said he will announce his decision by Feb. 3, after conducting his own research on Trice.

Gold said this is a positive step for student government. “We’ve proved we can be a governing body now,” he said.

Gold, who was out of town over the weekend, heard about the committee’s recommendation Tuesday.

“I’m extremely happy. I can’t [express] in words how happy I am. … We have a lot of groups on campus who wanted the name changed.”

Meron Wondwosen, president of the Black Student Alliance is also supporting Trice.

“I think the recommendation of the committee is well-thought out and long overdue,” she said. “The Black Student Alliance wants the stadium to be renamed for Trice because it should have been rightfully named for him in the first place.”

Wondwosen said much of the push to rename the stadium within the past 18 months came about because of the efforts of the September 29th Movement and BSA to rename Catt Hall.

“If the committee and the majority of the university can see the rationale behind naming the stadium then why is it so difficult to apply the same logic to Catt Hall?” Wondwosen asked. “Racism is racism. If you’re going to rename the stadium then you should also rename Catt Hall.”

Members of the September 29th Movement and BSA say Carrie Chapman Catt made racist remarks in her crusade for women’s suffrage.