New Study Abroad Center director named

Frank Peters, professor of industrial and manufacturing systems engineering, began his appointment as Study Abroad Center director on Jan. 2. 

Courtesy of the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost

Annelise Wells

Frank Peters was announced as the next director of Iowa State’s Study Abroad Center.

Peters, an associate professor in industrial and manufacturing systems engineering, holds the C.G. “Turk” and Joyce A. Therkildsen endowed professorship in the industrial and manufacturing systems engineering department.

Peters’ appointment is a three-year, 75 percent appointment, according to a press release. He began the appointment Jan. 2.

“I look forward to working with faculty, the Study Abroad Center staff and study abroad staff in the colleges to more fully connect our programs to students’ overall academic experiences,” Peters said in a press release. “We want to enable students to integrate the experience of studying, traveling and living internationally with coursework that prepares them for successful careers and lives in a global environment.”

The Study Abroad Center helps students choose their international programs, apply for visas and other documents and graduate on time. According to a press release, Peters has been involved in study abroad activities in England, Scotland and Ireland. 

Peters earned his bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate degrees in industrial engineering from Pennsylvania State University. He then joined the Iowa State faculty in 1996. 

Scott Grawe, associate dean for strategy and engagement in the Ivy College of Business, previously held the position of interim director for the Study Abroad Center.