A day for teaching in diversity

Keesia Wirt and Jennifer Young

About 1,500 people participated in Tuesday’s “Teach-in on Diversity and Politics,” one of the first teach-ins held at Iowa State in years.

The teach-in was organized by the September 29th Movement.

“It’s a huge success. We had standing room only at almost every presentation but one,” said Kel Munger, chairwoman of the Movement’s teach-in committee.

From 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., presenters lectured on 12 issues dealing with race, gender, diversity, sexual preference and campus controversies.

The teach-in was scheduled for the Gold Room of the Memorial Union, but the large crowds forced organizers to move the activities to the South Ballroom.

“At 8 a.m. we had 85 people in here, braving below-zero temperatures to hear a lecture on [racism, sexism and the class struggle],” Munger said. “Whoever said progressivism is dead was wrong.”

Munger said the teach-in was truly a multicultural event. “We’re talking about every race, class, gender and homophobia. And we’re talking to each other,” she said. “If we could just get the administration to join us, we could really achieve something.”

One administrator who attended the teach-in, Dean of Students Kathleen MacKay, said she found it a good opportunity for students to learn.

“It was great. I think teach-ins have the possibility to educate, raise people’s awareness and bring people together to share their views,” she said.

She said she noticed a lot of students who were sent by professors from their regular classes. “I think whenever people get together and share information, that is almost always positive,” MacKay said. “I thought it was a good sign.”

ISU President Martin Jischke said he supports any attempt to get students and faculty together to discuss issues.

“Congratulations to the students who participated,” he said. “It was a well-attended and well-received program. I think it’s very productive, and I encourage that activity.”

Students who attended the teach-in also gave it good reviews.

Sara Wisgerhof, a junior in political science, went to one presentation — “How Should We Argue About Controversies?” — in the afternoon.

“I thought it made a good point that you are not going to get anywhere if you have a closed mind when arguing a topic,” Wisgerhof said.

Associate Provost Edwin Lewis was not aware of the teach-in Tuesday, but said he hopes students will take advantage of any educational program offered on campus.

“I think it’s fine, and a lot of students took advantage of it,” he said.

Lewis said he did hope students didn’t skip class to attend the teach-in.

Susan Carlson, a professor of English, was involved in the “Theatre and Political Controversy” presentation.

“I thought it was very effective,” she said.

“People seemed very eager to listen to what was being said,” she added.

Carlson said she was “encouraged that so many people were interested and thinking about the issues.”

She said she would like to see teach-ins in the future.

Munger agreed.

“I really hope other areas on campus realize that as students we have to take responsibility for our own education.”