‘Teach-in’ to help promote diversity issues

Erin Payne

Broadening the spectrum of diversity at Iowa State will be the focus of a series of proposed workshops to be held at the beginning of next semester.

Organizers of “Teach-in on Diversity and Political Action” plan to educate people about what is involved in diversity, said Kel Munger, chairwoman of the organizational committee.

Munger first proposed the idea at a central committee meeting after the September 29th Movement’s demonstration last month in Beardshear Hall.

The idea of a teach-in originated with a group of graduate students, said Louise Libby, an English teaching assistant and organizational committee member.

Diversity and cultural studies play a big role in the English department, she said, because the department works with foreign studies learning the English language. “We always have a finger on those issues,” Libby said.

Munger said the teach-in could help broaden the minds of the Iowa State community.

She wants people to realize that the Movement is not only about renaming Catt Hall and that Movement members are not all African-Americans. “It is very much a white movement,” Munger said.

In addition, the teach-in will present information focusing on global issues and racial climate.

Libby said the teach-in is an opportunity for all types of instructors, not just professors, to present their experiences at ISU. She hopes instructors focus on how they can foster diversity in classes and in different groups on campus.

Libby said she plans to take her freshmen composition classes to the teach-in because many new students don’t realize events like this are open to everyone.

“This is an issue for the entire university,” she said.

The teach-in has been tentatively scheduled for Jan. 28 somewhere in the Memorial Union.