Pulling your hair out over Dead Week? Find the zone

Carolyn Kapaska

Finals got you stressed? Don’t worry, now you can relax by blowing some bubbles, throwing clay in your friend’s hair or getting a massage in one of the university sponsored Stress-Free Zones on campus next week.

“The Stress-Free Zones will be providing students with an opportunity to push away the books and take time to relax,” said Stephanie Chervinko, program assistant at the Student Activities Center.

During Dead Week, several organizations will sponsor three locations on campus where students can take a load off and get some needed relief from the pressure of finals.

The Stress-Free Zones will be housed in Parks Library, the Women’s Center and in Room 15 of the Memorial Union.

Cartoons will be playing in the basement of the Parks Library so students can take a breather from the stressful library scene during the week.

Massage therapy, aroma therapy, meditation, peer counseling, herbal tea and other relaxation techniques will be provided in the Women’s Center. Local massage therapists will be at the center periodically to give massages, but the other techniques will take place during the Stress-Free Zone hours.

“This area is more of a place for those people who want a peaceful, quiet surrounding,” Chervinko said.

The third stress-free area has been dubbed the Play Room. Students can find relief by coloring, blowing bubbles, playing with electronic cars, modeling clay and throwing stress balls.

“The Play Room has a more light-hearted nature,” Chervinko said.

At each of the locations there will be a guest book, which will be used for a raffle held at the end of the week. Prizes consist of free bowling and billiards passes at the Memorial Union.

Stress-Free Zones are being sponsored by the YWCA, the Office of Adult Learner and Commuter Student Programs, the Wellness Center, Student Counseling Services and the Dean of Students Office. Chervinko said each organization has provided volunteers for the three locations.

Each Stress-Free Zone will be open to all students from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of Dead Week.

“This is the very first time that Iowa State University has had the Stress-Free Zones,” Chervinko said.