From fencing to Norml, it all starts in Student Activities Center

Keesia Wirt

Nearly 75 percent of the students on campus are involved in some form of extracurricular activity, said Terri Houston, assistant dean of students. What students don’t know, she said, is that it all starts in the the Student Activities Center.

The center, which has a new location this year in the basement of the Memorial Union in Room B6, is an outlet for information on the 547 student organizations on campus.

Houston said the purpose of the center is to oversee, create and provide co-curriculum and extracurricular programs for Iowa State students.

“We serve as a clearing house for students looking for involvement opportunities on campus,” she said.

Over the past few years, Houston said they have gained a better understanding of what student activities mean to ISU students. “It’s become a valuable component to students’ educational system.”

The center offers a complete resource library and materials, including videos, audio tapes and pamphlets on student organizations and programs for them.

The center is managed by three main coordinators. Each serves a different purpose for helping students get involved.

Carol Cordell, student organizations development coordinator, said she does not only coordinate activities, but also helps develop student relations and develop a better campus.

“I’m the administrative person for the university for anything related to student groups,” she said. “I’m the one who finds out about what students are doing, so they can get anything they want.”

Cordell is also the woman to call if an organization wants someone to give its group a presentation. She said the topics range from leadership skills and judiciary procedures to how to organize a bake sale or national conference.

She thinks one of the best benefits of the center is the advice and guidance it can provide groups. “I think a lot of organizations forget that this office is here for them, besides their adviser, to offer a different view and perspective on things.”

She said the center is one of the catch-all offices on campus. “People send students to us because they know we’ll solve their problems. We’re proud of that reputation.”

Besides Cordell, there is also a position devoted to helping the greek system on campus.

Robin Shaffer Lilienthal, greek affairs coordinator, said she provides advising, leadership training and policy development for the greek system. “We’re the university staff people responsible for 2,600 greek students.”

Shaffer Lilienthal said one of the greatest services she provides is the individual one-on-one advising. “People call us for everything. We’re kind of like one stop shopping.”

She was in the greek system during her years at ISU, which Shaffer Lilienthal said makes her job a little easier. “I tell my students one thing to my advantage is that I’ve been here and I’ve seen it.”

Houston said TULIP, The Undergraduate Leadership Intern Program, is the center’s “diamond in the rough.”

Carolyn Ullestad, secretary for the center, said her main purpose is to serve students and help them anyway she can.