Kicking the habit one day at a time

Carolyn Kapaska

The American Cancer Society celebrated the 20th anniversary of its Great American Smokeout yesterday.

The staff and volunteers of the Society have used the Smokeout to help smokers quit cigarettes for at least one day.

This year, the American Cancer Society is focusing on children and teenagers because most smokers started the habit before they reached the age of 18.

“Since many college students will be put in a position of being a role model to younger people in the future, I think they should be responsible and quit smoking now,” said Justin Morton, a junior in education and a nonsmoker. “Maybe if college students take the initiative to quit, younger and older people alike will follow.”

The American Cancer Society hopes that by helping young people resist starting to smoke maybe future generations will be less likely to take up the habit.

But some smokers disagree.

“I think the Smokeout is a good idea, but I honestly don’t think it will make people quit smoking,” said smoker Amy Rode, a sophomore in interior design.

Although many Iowa State smokers tried to kick the habit for at least one day, a few students said it was a difficult task.

“I considered not smoking for the day, but I have so many tests and projects due before break,” said smoker Cammie Engel, a junior in fashion merchandising. “It’s a stressful time and cigarette smoking is a stress reliever.”

In addition, the Smokeout is designed to clarify facts about tobacco use in this country.

Smoking is the most preventable cause of death in our society. The American Cancer Society reported that tobacco use is responsible for nearly one in five deaths in the United States.

Based on data from the American Cancer Society, smokers lose an average of 15 years of life and smoking accounts for 30 percent of all cancer deaths.

“More and more people are dying each year from smoking,” said nonsmoker Jessica Nelson, a sophomore in consumer food science. “I think the Great American Smokeout is a wonderful way to promote a healthier lifestyle.”

The American Cancer Society’s Great American Smokeout is not just for smokers, it’s for nonsmokers, too.

In December 1992, the Environmental Protection Agency concluded that secondhand smoke presents “a serious and substantial” public health problem in the United States. In fact, about 3,000 nonsmoking adults die of lung cancer each year as a result of inhaling the smoke of others’ cigarettes.

By celebrating the 20th anniversary, the American Cancer Society hopes that more smokers will quit for the day, or hopefully for life.

“I don’t care if people want to smoke, but quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did,” said Cass Topinka, a sophomore.