Women’s golf team lands three new recruits

Josh Hart

Cathy Ennis, a freshman at Memorial University in St. John’s, has recently signed a letter of intent to attend ISU next semester and continue her career as a student athlete.

Ennis has accumulated many honors as a golfer throughout her whole life. She finished 12th at the prestigious Canadian National Championship in Melfort last summer, and she is a three-time Newfoundland Junior Champion. She also shot a 76-74 to win her sixth consecutive Bally Hally Country Club Championship.

Ennis will redshirt the spring season and will begin competition for ISU next fall as a freshman. “I think she will do very well for us next fall,”said Head Coach Julie Manning. “She will probably fit in on our fourth or fifth slot on the varsity team.”

Ennis, a multi-sport stand-out, has participated in basketball, volleyball, badminton, track and cross country in high school. At Holy Heart of Mary High School she was named the Holy Heart Athlete of the Year. She is currently on the Memorial University’s cross country team.

“Cathy is an outstanding athlete, and a remarkable person,”Manning said. “She possesses all of the tools and work ethic to be among the very best in the Big 12.”

This fall, the ISU women’s golf team ended up 11th in the Big 12. “That was really awkward for us,” Manning said. “We have had terrific success in the past four years, but injuries have devastated us this year. We are usually about fourth place. Hopefully Cathy will add consistency to the team next year.”

Ennis is native to northern Canada, where Manning first met her at the Canadian Junior in Melford. “We have been having trouble recruiting in the Midwest lately, so we decided to go north, and we’ve got a great recruit,” Manning said. “Hopefully we’ve started a pipeline that will last for a long time.”

Along with Ennis, Manning has also got Noel Jacobusse, a senior at Algona High School, and Kearney High’s Megan O’Dea to sign early with the ISU Women’s Golf program. O’Dea has a 4.0 GPA and she has led her team to back-to-back state championships in 1994 and 1995, placing second her junior year.

Manning said of the Kearney recruit, “I feel very fortunate to have Megan join us. I truly believe we are seeing the tip of the iceberg with the potential and future success she will have as a Cyclone.”

Noel Jacobusse led her Algona team to the 1996 Class 2A state championship with a runner-up medalist finish after winning the individual title as a sophomore. “I have been watching Noel play junior golf out of the corner of my eye for eight years and I am excited about her joining our Cyclone family,” Manning said.

“I am very pleased with our recruits,” Manning said. “I am even more pleased that we got it done early. We’ve signed three great athletes. My closing thought is wow!”