Consider being a part of Parent and Family Weekend

Tracy Deutmeyer

Parent and Family Weekend coordinators said you don’t have to attend Iowa State to “Consider Yourself A Part of Our Family” at this weekend’s festivities.

Sandra Anfinson, Parent and Family Weekend chair for the Student Alumni Association, said the ISU family is not made of just ISU faculty and students, but also those who help support us as well.

Parent and Family Weekend will begin with a reception at the Knoll on Friday evening.

Jenny Erps, special events co-coordinator, said the reception is an opportunity for parents and families to meet President Martin Jischke and his wife Patty. She said it also gives families a chance to mingle with the presidents and other members of the Parent Association.

The annual “Pre-game Family Tailgate,” sponsored by the Alumni Association, SAA, and the Parent Association, will help get families ready for the Kansas game at the ISU residence halls.

Before the game, families can get a look at student life by participating in a campus walking tour or attending a college reception. Anfinson said faculty and staff of each college will be available to talk to families and answer questions about their departments.

Also on Saturday morning, students from the College of Design will give tours to tell families about the architecture and artistic stories on campus.

While many families attend the football game, other families just might be heading to class. Coordinators say “Send Your Family to Class” is an alternative event to the football game for families.

“Not every family is interested in sporting events. This way, families can get a feeling of what it’s like to be a student at ISU,” Anfinson said.

Families need to register for classes at 1 p.m. at the Memorial Union hotel registration desk. Lecture subjects include “Turning Term Papers into Milk,” “Agriculture in the 21st Century” and media violence.

After the game, families can take a break and eat at “A View of Our Different Worlds,” an around the world buffet at the Great Hall.

Family events coordinator Laura Dietz said the buffet will feature food from each continent and campus multi-cultural groups will have displays and slide shows during the buffet in the Oak Room. Dietz said the India Student Association will perform a dance in the Great Hall after the buffet.

“I think this event is important because a lot of people go to school and don’t look at people around then. We want to make this as educational as possible,” Dietz said.

Parent and Family Weekend 1996

Friday, November 1,1996

6:30-7:30 p.m. Reception at the Knoll

Visit with President and Mrs. Jischke at their home.

8-9 p.m. Bill Fennelly, head women’s basketball coach

Sun Room, Memorial Union. Coach Fennelly will address “Family Issues in the ’90s.”

Saturday, November 2, 1996

9 a.m.-5 p.m. Campus buildings open for viewing

10:15 a.m. Art on Campus

Meet at the Memorial Fountain. Student guides from the College of Design will tell you about the architectural and artistic stories of ISU.

10 and 11 a.m. Campus Walking Tours

Met at the Memorial Union Fountain. ISU students will give tours of the campus, providing history and facts.

10-11:30 a.m. Farm House open house

The Farm House Museum is located north of Ross Hall.

10-11:30 a.m. College receptions

College of Design Design Building Atrium

College of Family and Consumer Sciences Lebaron Lounge

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Catt Hall

College of Agriculture Rooms 220-240, Scheman Building

College of Business Second floor lobby of Scheman Building

College of Engineering Rooms 167-179 of Scheman Building

10:45 a.m. Pre-game Family Tailgate

Located in individual residence hall associations: Friley, Knapp-Storm, Oak-Elm and Maple-Willow-Larch.

1 p.m. Kansas vs. Iowa State football game

Tickets may be purchased over the phone through Ticketmaster, (515) 233-1888 or in person or by mail at the Athletic Ticket Office, Jacobson Athletic Building.

2-3 p.m. Send Your Family to Class

Register at the Memorial Union lobby. There will be lectures by some ISU professors.

4:30-6 p.m. A View of Our Different Worlds

Great Hall, Memorial Union. An “around the world” buffet featuring a vari- ety of ethnic foods and performances by multicultural student organizations

8-11 p.m. Casino Night

Great Hall, Memorial Union. Gambling and entertainment for the entire family.

11-11:30 p.m. Casino Night Auction

Great Hall, Memorial Union. Purchase prizes with the money from Casi- no Night. Area businesses have donated a variety of prizes.

Sunday, November 3, 1996

10 a.m.-12 noon Meet the Cyclones

Lied Recreation Athletic Center. Come meet and participate in activities with ISU athletes, cheerleaders, coaches, and Cy.

2 and 3:30 p.m. A Collage of Choirs

Great Hall, Memorial Union. The singing ensembles of ISU present a short concert for Parent and Family Weekend.