Look toward tomorrow today

Carolyn Kapaska

Iowa State is holding its annual Graduate and Professional School Information Day in the Memorial Union today.

“If you’re considering continuing your education beyond your bachelor’s degree, this is the time to come explore your academic options,” said Beverly Madden, director of ISU Career Services.

More than 70 representatives from universities and colleges from across the country will be available to discuss their programs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. All of the Iowa State colleges will be represented.

“We are bringing a wide variety of institutions,” she said. “The number of institutions that will be represented is a good indication of the strength of the ISU student body.”

Madden said nearly 20 percent of ISU students go directly on to professional or graduate school. She said from that number, 30 percent of the students go on to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

The fair will provide potential graduating students with information on topics such as admission requirements, tuition costs, financial aid, time required to complete programs, student-faculty ratios, job prospects and student and community life at the various institutions.

Madden said their goal is to give the same kind of information to graduate students as they give to professional students. “Professional students include those going into medicine and law.”

Madden said personal invitations were sent to 3,000 of the top junior and senior students at ISU.

“We know we have not reached all students that are planning to go on,” Madden said. “This event is for students of all ages.”

More information on graduate and professional schools across the country is available on the World Wide Web at http://www.public.iastate.edu/-career_info/gpd96.html. Madden said that the Web page will provide links to the participating institutions.

Graduate and Professional School Information Day is free and open to the public. Pre-registration is not required.