Find work on the Web

Shawntelle Madison

As the end of fall is quickly approaching, Iowa State seniors are preparing to enter the work force. They spend their money on resumes and the necessities to give the best impression for an interview. The search for employment for some is a high hurdle to overcome as graduation approaches.

An Internet service known as DecisiveQuest provides a way for graduates to find employment. This national database has searches for employment to match a student’s credentials. The service is free for introductory usage until November 1, when the cost will be $9.95.

Information is received confidentially through software DecisiveQuest provides at the web site. The software is acquired by downloading via ftp.

The software is user-friendly and provides a fill-in-the-blank format to get information from the user in order to build a personal profile. This profile consists of job preferences, skills, work skills and personal data. After the database is filled out, the user then sends it via e-mail.

The personal profile can be updated as often as the user wishes.

In the press release, Rick Donnelli, the president of the parent company said, “GradQuest will electronically facilitate the job search for college students. The service reverses the job search process as we know it today. Instead of the student looking for the job, the job seeks out the students.”

From that point on, companies send requests to DecisiveQuest for graduating college students that qualify for the positions they have available. An e-mail message is sent to the student if their profile matches a request from a company.

The message will inform the student about the position, location and a brief description about the duties. The student then can e-mail DecisiveQuest if interested. In response, DecisiveQuest will send the student’s profile to the company.

The advantage DecisiveQuest provides is to furnish access to smaller and medium-sized companies around the country that do not have the budget to extensively recruit new employees.

DecisiveQuest provides opportunities for students in over 350 majors.

Jim Stuart, an assistant manager at Copyworks, said to make a resume costs $24.95, and to create the reference page costs $10.95. Each additional page is $14.95.

DecisiveQuest eliminates the large bill involved with searching for employment, but what about the other services that are free? DecisiveQuest gives the student full control over the job search. Students receive the maximum exposure to companies and their skills and achievements are highlighted. The database is updated everyday.