Voting made easy for you

Erin Payne

Changes in the voting process are making it easier for Story County residents — and Iowa State students — to cast their ballots.

A new voting system and a satellite absentee voting station are part of the county’s plans to boost the vote, said county auditor Judy Emmons.

Before this election, the county used a voting system called Microvote. It was replaced because it lacked an absentee system and confused voters.

With the old system, candidate names didn’t line up very well. With the new Accu-Vote systems, voters will darken in an oval next to their preferred candidates. It is similar to filling in test sheets for Iowa Basic Skills tests.

The Microvote computer system required several people to be involved in the reporting and double-checking of the election totals as they were entered into the computer. Emmons said the new system automatically reports the election outcome via telephone lines. Because fewer people are involved, she said, the entire process is more efficient.

Getting out the vote is also a concern as election day, Nov. 5, nears.

For students registered to vote back home, Emmons said, “They can write their county auditor” for an absentee ballot. Those requesting an absentee ballot must include their name, home voting address, Iowa State address and must ask for a general election ballot. A signature is required for the request to be granted.

Throughout the state, absentee requests are sent out until the day before the election. Return ballots must be postmarked by the day before the election or personally delivered to the auditor’s office. Offices accept handed-in ballots until 9 p.m. on election day, when the polls close.

But Emmons said ISU students are eligible to vote in Story County. “As an Iowa State student, they are allowed to register at their Ames address and vote in Story County,” she said. The last day to register to vote in the Nov. 5 elections is Oct. 26.

Registering ISU students hasn’t been a problem. Getting them to vote has. “History has been that we get quite a few Iowa State students registered, but they don’t vote,” Emmons said.

But there will be fewer excused this year with an abundance of voting sites. The county traded in 141 Microvotes when officials received the new system. This year, 500 Accu votes will be distributed among the 48 Story County precincts.

Citizens wanting to check out the new system can practice at Ames City Hall until Oct. 25. It is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Emmons said absentee voting is now called “early voting.” “You don’t have to say you’re going to be gone,” she said. If voters don’t want to stand in line, they can vote early.

Story County is hosting several events to help register voters and to get them to vote by absentee ballot including some at Iowa State.

Three satellite absentee voter stations are scheduled for next week. The first two will be held Oct. 16. at the Ames Public Library auditorium, open from noon to 8 p.m., and at the Regency Room of the Memorial Union, open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Ames City Hall will host the third station from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Fri. Oct. 18. Emmons said anyone can register or vote absentee at the voter stations.

The Story County Auditor’s Office in Nevada will be open for absentee voting from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the weeks before election day. On Saturday, Nov. 2, the office will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Voting Deadlines

Sat., October 26

Last day to register to vote

Mon., November 4

Last day to vote absentee by mail

Tues., November 5 — 9 p.m.

Last day to vote absentee by hand delivery

Questions?

Call the Story County Auditor’s Office at 382-6851.