Jesse Jackson to visit campus Wednesday

Erin Payne

The Rev. Jesse Jackson will be on the Iowa State campus tomorrow to promote his “Keep Hope Alive on November 5” campaign.

As part of his Citizenship Education Fund, Jackson will be at the Campanile from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday speaking about his non-partisan attempt to register voters around the country and to encourage them to visit the polls on election day.

Jackson, a world leader and two-time former Democratic presidential candidate, has been played a variety of key political roles in the United States for nearly 30 years.

Jackson’s visit to Ames is part of a three-day, five-state tour to promote voter registration. Other Iowa stops include breakfast at the Corinthians Church in Des Moines and a 2 p.m. rally at Drake University.

Jackson will also give speeches in Chicago, Omaha, Neb., and Madison, Wis. this week.

Jackson is president of the Rainbow Coalition PUSH (People United to Save Humanity) Action Network and has been vocal about issues involving peace, civil rights, gender equality, empowerment, as well as economic and social justice.

An international diplomat, he is also known for his focus on youth and the American labor movement. Campus groups have tried unsuccessfully for years to get Jackson to campus.

Details of his visit weren’t released until Monday.

Jackson is widely recognized as one of the most eloquent speakers of the last few decades.

In case of bad weather, the event will be moved to the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.