Mays to hold forums on Thursday

Jen Schroeder

Upon the request of Vickie Mays, candidate for the George Washington Carver Professorship and director of the program in African American Studies, two forums for faculty and students interested in the African American Studies program will be held Thursday afternoon.

The forum will give both students and faculty a chance to meet with Mays, who is a professor in clinical psychology at the University of California.

Mays received her Ph.D. in clinical psychology at the University of Massachusetts in 1979 and has been widely published in more than 35 scholarly articles. Her research interests include women’s health issues and gender and cultural issues related to HIV.

“We have made her an offer and she is coming back to see us again,” said Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Elizabeth Hoffman. “She is going to discuss with faculty and students at the two open forums and this will be a wonderful opportunity for people to come and talk to her.”

Hoffman said she would be very excited if Mays decided to join Iowa State. “She is exactly the kind of person that I would like to see as director. She is a great scholar, teacher… and is deeply committed to African American studies.”

Jen Peders, an administrative assistant in the department of psychology, said anyone interested is encouraged to participate. “We planned the time for the meeting so it would be across two class periods so people could come.”

Peders said those planning to attend would not have to stay the entire time. The forum for faculty interested in participating in teaching or committee or research activities in conjunction with the African American studies program will be from 1:10-2:45 p.m., Thursday at 2123 Sweeney. The meeting for students will be from 3-4:15 p.m.