GSB, Daily set to host a mock election

Tara Deering

The Iowa State Daily and the Government of the Student Body are hosting a mock election next Wednesday, Oct. 23 in front of Parks Library.

The election will be held from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The election is open to ISU students only. A ballot will be in the Wednesday’s edition of the Daily, and there will also be ballots at the election booth. There will be a survey map displayed at the election, to acquaint students with the district boundaries they are located in.

President Bill Clinton and Republican candidate Bob Dole will not be the only candidates on the ballot. Participating students will vote for presidential and congressional candidates. There will be a separate category for all candidates not listed on the ballot.

GSB Senator John Hamilton, business, is one of the organizers. He said the main purpose of the mock election is to determine what the student voice is for the upcoming election.

“We want to get students pumped up to vote for the real election,” Hamilton said.

“The ones that don’t vote will hopefully vote this November if their candidate doesn’t win in the mock election.”

The ISU student population is about 25,000 strong, but Hamilton said realistically he expects to see about 1,000 voters.

Chris Miller, editor of the Daily, said he’s hoping for a good response from the student body.

“There was a mock election during the last presidential election in 1992. We felt that it was an appropriate thing to do for this year’s election.”

Dean Fiihr, co-chairman of ISU Democrats, said he’s in favor of the mock election.

“We’ll encourage our members to go vote, but our time will be split next week trying to get people registered to vote in the last week of registration.”

Hamilton said he’s expecting a close Clinton-Dole mock race.