Hennager wants jobs for ISU graduates

Erin Payne

To bring more companies to Ames to hire Iowa State students and graduates, is the goal of one Iowan on next week’s ballot.

Jim Hennager, Reform Party candidate for Iowa Representative for the 62nd District, said the state needs to attract companies to colleges and universities by giving businesses tax incentives.

The opportunity, called Educational Job Zones, would also give students the chance to work part-time in their fields and finance their college education. Hennager cited similar programs in Colorado Springs and Boulder, Colo.

Attracting high-tech companies can also give students better references, Hennager said. Instead of having references from fast food restaurants, he said students will have references from their field of interest. Hennager said he is opposed to increased student borrowing because of the huge debt involved.

The program would also encourage students to stay in Iowa, he said. Students can get their education in Iowa, he said, “and stay in Iowa.”

Hennager said the state needs to maintain its stature in education. Even though Iowa is number one in education, he said, the state’s educational system is falling compared to that of other states and countries.

County landfill problems are also plaguing the state, Hennager said, and the state needs regional garbage recycling centers. Also, he proposes that the state build new prisons near the recycling centers and require the inmates to work there. “That takes care of two issues.”

In addition, Hennager proposes a Young Farmer Program that would make it easier for young farmers to get started in the state. Hennager said the state can increase its number of farms by connecting retiring farmers to young farm families.

Retired farmers would divide up their large farms into four or five farms and contract the land to young farmers. The retiring farmers would receive tax incentives for participating in the program.

Hennager said the program is important because it would increase the number of farms in the state. He said in the last generation, Iowa lost about 300,000 farms. Iowa now has about 90,000 farms. Hennager said his proposal has the potential of creating 100,000 new farms in the state.

Hennager will be at Iowa State on Thursday to talk about the Young Farmer Program. The meeting is at 4 p.m. in Room 236 of the Memorial Union and is open to all students.