Iowa State wrestling seeks first road dual win with potential changes in the lineup

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

Freshman Austin Gomez wrestles Jacob Blaha during the Iowa State vs SIU-Edwardsville match in Stephens Auditorium Nov. 11. The Cyclones won nine of the 10 matches over the Cougars.

Trevor Holbrook

It’s been a brighter start in year two under Kevin Dresser for the Cyclones. Iowa State’s secured two home dual wins, pushed Iowa to the brink and competed in four tournaments.

Despite the solid start, Iowa State faces another test. The Cyclones (2-1, 0-0 Big 12) traveled to Fargo, North Dakota, to compete against the Bison (6-3, 2-2 Big 12) on Wednesday at 7 p.m.

“Just another time for the team to prove ourselves,” said redshirt freshman and No. 9-ranked 133-pounder Austin Gomez, who’s scheduled to face Cam Skyora (No. 17 133-pounder, according to InterMat.com). “It’s going to be a good match just because it’s the first Big 12 match of the year, so it’s going to be tough.”

Aside from the first conference dual on the road, Iowa State is battling a few injuries, entering the dual.

Iowa State failed to field a 165-pounder at the Southern Scuffle due to a pair of injuries to Brady Jennings and Skyler St. John.

With St. John out for the year and Jennings still recovering, Dresser turned to a five-man wrestle-off to help direct the team at the injury-burdened weight.

Freshman Logan Schumacher emerged from the wrestle-off on top and will likely get penciled in.

Schumacher will be tasked with a tough competitor in redshirt junior Andrew Fogarty — the No. 20 165-pounder, according to InterMat.com.

“I’ve talked to some of my other teammates about him, and we watched him a little bit,” Schumacher said. “I know a teammate beat him last year, but he’s a tough kid.”

His teammate who knocked off Fogarty is Jennings in 7-2 decision — as part of Iowa State’s 21-20 win off criteria last season, overcoming a 20-3 deficit.

The 165-pound matchup is one to watch. If Iowa State can limit the damage and avoid surrendering bonus points, or pick up a win, it could decide another likely close dual.

Another loss in the lineup comes at 141-pounds. Redshirt sophomore Ian Parker medically forfeited out of the Southern Scuffle due to concussion symptoms. 

Dresser said on Monday that Parker is cleared but a “game-time decision” for North Dakota State. 

If Parker sits out of the dual, redshirt freshman Ryan Leisure will fill in. Leisure’s compiled a 10-8 record this season in five tournaments, including the Southern Scuffle.

Last season as a redshirt, he finished with a 22-5 record at 149-pounds.

One positive for the Cyclones is redshirt senior 197-pounder Willie Miklus. Miklus didn’t compete at the Southern Scuffle due to illness.

“Willie’s great,” Dresser said. “He’s excited … Willie wasn’t even that serious of a situation. We were probably just being a little conservative and resting him a little bit.”

With a tweaked lineup, the Cyclones may need a spark from Miklus (No. 4 per InterMat.com) or one of the younger athletes like Schumacher to swing another close dual with the Bison.