GSB cabinet official parts ways with Gold

Kevin Petty and Keesia Wirt

Government of the Student Body President Adam Gold encountered another obstacle Monday when Chief of Staff Dan Etler turned in his resignation.

“I’m leaving just because I think this is the best thing for GSB, me and Adam right now,” Etler said. “I’m a little disappointed with the way things have gone this year and I think this is the best.”

He said he did not resign because he disagrees with Gold on any one issue. Etler said the job is also very time consuming. “We are still friends. I wish him all the best,” Etler said.

Gold agreed. He said there was no difference of opinion, and the resignation was a mutual decision. “Dan was very frustrated with the procedural aspects of GSB — the bickering and the lack of communication between the Senate and other members of GSB.”

Gold said he would immediately fill the position after first consulting the bylaws. “It’s an extremely important position. I will try to fill it as soon as possible.”

The chief of staff is a non-elected, paid position appointed by the president of GSB. He or she receives $1,488 per semester.

Braden Lozan, director of student information, said though the position is very important, Etler is replaceable.

The new appointee will be subject to Senate approval.

“Chief of staff is involved in a lot of the organizations, organizing agendas with the Senate, a lot of the work the president just doesn’t have the time to do,” Lozan said. “Dan did a real good job.”

Another member of the Gold administration, Vice President Carolyn Jones, said yesterday afternoon that she was not aware of Etler’s decision.

“I know he has been thinking about it, but I don’t know if anything is official yet. Adam hasn’t said anything to me yet,” Jones said.

Several other senators expressed varying degrees of regret about Etler’s resignation.

“I know he was thinking about doing it…If he did it is too bad, but we have to suck it up and drive on,” said John Hamilton, business.

“If Etler resigned it’s a major loss to the students,” said Ryan Glanzer, RCA.