On the road again

Erin Payne

As his campaign for reelection winds down, Sen. Tom Harkin said he feels good about this election year.

“I feel very good about it,” Harkin said. Although he is ahead in the polls, Harkin said, he is not home free. “I feel good about my lead.”

Harkin is shooting for his third term as Iowa senator. If reelected, he will be the first Democrat in the state to serve three terms in office.

With election day nearing, Harkin said he is concentrating on his priorities and getting his message across.

Harkin reiterated his advocacy for education. Education is an investment, he said, from Head Start to grants and loans for college students. His education plans include giving tax deductions and credits to college students.

A yearly tax deduction of up to $10,000 per family for education is part of this plan. Also, Harkin favors a tax credit of up to $1,500 for students pursuing a two-year community college degree.

The senator pointed out how he and his opponent, Republican Congressman Jim Ross Lightfoot, stand on the education issue.

Harkin said Lightfoot voted to cut education by one-third and to increase the student loan repayment costs by $4,900. The increase in repayment costs hurts low income students the most because they have to borrow the most, Harkin said.

Harkin’s campaign this week is specifically focusing on issues related to older Iowans. Tuesday Harkin traveled to Mason City, Waterloo and Cedar Rapids to tell Iowans about his support for pension security.

Harkin said Lightfoot voted to allow corporate raiding of pension funds. “We stopped that,” he said, to make sure pensions will be available at retirement.

In addition, getting out the vote is also a vital part of the Harkin campaign. “We are working hard on this campus” and every campus. Harkin added that students have always been a central part of his campaign efforts.